JD GT245 opinions needed

/ JD GT245 opinions needed #1  

ThistleKop

Silver Member
Tractor
175 Allis, 1975, Case IH 895
I have an opportunity to buy a GT245, 2002 yr, 61hrs. Has 20 HP Kawasaki, 54" cut. Condition is supposed to be excellent, haven't seen it. Has bar tires on rear. How would they perform on a lawn? MSRP is $5999. Can be bought for $3700, probably less. What are your opinions of the mower in general and the price specifically? Thanks.

TK

/ JD GT245 opinions needed #2  
Sounds OK. I have a GT 225, 16 HP Kohler. Really like it allot. Bar tires may dig up your lawn a bit when you turn, esp. on soft ground. You could check to see how much a set of rims and turf tires are. 61 hours is nothing. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ JD GT245 opinions needed #3  
is it a private or dealer sale? lawnpower.com is supposed to have great deals and your mower from them is between $4075 to $4200. however they are in Iowa.

/ JD GT245 opinions needed #4  
Great tractor,
the bar tires are pretty common around here,, (lots of hills)
I haven't heard of many tearing up lawns..

the price does sound good. it's hardly broken in!

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ JD GT245 opinions needed
TimberXX,

It's a private sale.

TK

/ JD GT245 opinions needed #6  
I have heard of several people having problems with the 20 HP Kawasaki motor in these. The symptoms are plugs fouling in 4 hours or less, resulting in a very rough running engine. It is not every engine, but Deere is aware of the problem and has issued service bullitens on fixes, which I hear were less than successful.

/ JD GT245 opinions needed
Thanks all for the input. Keep it coming. I'm having a hard time putting over $3000 dollars in a riding mower. I'm rather handy at maintaining and working on them and have been able to get over 6 yrs out of all my $1000 riders. I mower 2 ac. an average of once/wk. from mid March to Mid November.

TK

/ JD GT245 opinions needed #8  
I know the feeling. Still, it IS a good price. I haven't had my GT for a year yet, but I am telling you, it's the BEST lawn machine I have EVER driven. It feels really stabile and solid. My Dad had a couple of Sears and Ropers when I was growing up and they were garbage. He has a John Deere now and he says he didn't know what he was missing. Going from a Roper to a John Deere is like going from a '78 Ford Pinto to a 2005 BMW. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ JD GT245 opinions needed #9  
My best friend had a PINTO!!!!

and back then, it seemed the car knew it's way home every nite.. even when he couldn't see with even one eye open...

boy have times changed..

/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ JD GT245 opinions needed #10  
My best friend had a PINTO!!!!

So did my sister. First car I ever drove with a stick.