JD L118 got initiated!

/ JD L118 got initiated! #1  

johndeere2210

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 2210
I was able to get about five hours of seat time on the new L118 yesterday. I know that there have been a lot of discussions on this forum about the big bad big box store mowers. Of all the negative comments about the box store mowers, I was curious if these comments were coming from people that purchased from the box store or if the comments were initially made due to second hand information. I don't want to start any kind of war here, just curious. I did not purchase the L118 from a box store, but it is the same L118 that the box store sells and I know that I will have parts available for many years (and service if needed).

My experience with the L118 yesterday was great. It ran smooth, was stable on slopes, and did an excellent job of cutting the grass. I am also impressed with the cruise control. That will be a handy feature. I expect to get quite a few years of mowing out of this machine. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ JD L118 got initiated! #2  
I have a L130. It does a great job and your right the cruise feature is good. Bought mine at the Home Depot. Why? Because I own stock there . Can't buy stock from the local tractor dealer!

/ JD L118 got initiated! #3  
I bought a L120 from local JD dealer and he will flat out tell you its not a $5k mower, he also told me he sold his father one. They are still great machines and it cut my mowing time in 1/2 over a 42" craftsman and the comfort is not even comparable. I dont know why people bash them so much.If mine last 10-15 years I will buy another and still not have spent what a GT cost.Also it is a very simple mod to mow in reverse without cutting any factory wires.For me, it was the best $2k I ever spent and even the wife agrees. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ JD L118 got initiated! #4  
I bought A l118 from a local dealer almost a year ago i have loved every thing about it butthe so called mulching plug it does not work for arond $60.00i bouht a mulching kit that consist of long peice of plastic that makes it mulch like a pro /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ JD L118 got initiated! #5  
This is the type of info I've been looking for. I need a decent rider for close to the house and was wondering if the L118 is going to hold up decently or not. I have 2 tractors for the rough stuff outside the yard.

Has anyone had problems that could be inherent in the machines?

I'm currently seeding my new yard and I don't exactly need the machine now but I hear that there are financing incentives right now.

/ JD L118 got initiated! #6  
I see no real inherent problems with these machines. As long as you know going into the deal that this machine is designed for light use. If you use it on a fairly smooth yard of reasonable size you should be fine. People sometimes forget that these 100 series mowers are budget machines. They see the green paint and go crazy! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ JD L118 got initiated!
Just rolled up 40 hours on the L118. It is a pretty solid little machine. I am pretty happy with it. We use it to mow around the house (where my wife will let me mow) and haul it to town once a week to mow the church lawn. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ JD L118 got initiated! #8  
Just repaired a L110 for a friend of the family. 1.5 years old with 35 hours on the clock. It was left out for a month or so last fall (they were building a new house). The gas today is crap because The whole fuel system was crapped up.

I had to Rebuild Carb and cleaned the whole fuel system tank to carb. Also installed a better see through fuel filter. (I got it from the JD dealer)

Then changed oil twice (It was flooded). I did the rest of the normal service and replaced the weak battery.

Blades had hit a few rocks so they were replaced ($27)

Repair parts, fluids and supplies totaled $100

The purchasing dealer wanted $50 each way for pickup and delivery and they said that they couldn't look at it for 3 weeks.

Now my take on this little machine after spending half a day with it: Very nicely built and well thought out for a low end machine much nicer than MTD and Sears products I have seen (but it probably costs a little more too). Very comfortable and easy to use. It moved very nice and ran like a top when I was done.

Drive belt slipped for a minute of so after I washed it. (Keep it dry)

Blades are a little thin and will not take too much abuse (but cheap to replace)

If used as a LAWN tractor, I think it will hold up well. It is not a GARDEN tractor and if used for more than Mowing and pulling a small cart I will not last as long.

I would still recommend My dealer and Wheelhorse or Kubota.

But the little Green tractor was not a bad Machine at all.

/ JD L118 got initiated! #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I bought A l118 from a local dealer almost a year ago i have loved every thing about it butthe so called mulching plug it does not work for arond $60.00i bouht a mulching kit that consist of long peice of plastic that makes it mulch like a pro )</font>

What's the difference between a mulching plug and mulching kit? What did the kit cost? Were they both from JD?

/ JD L118 got initiated! #10  
Thanks for the info BRIGUY. Yes, gas today is terrible.

Here's a little known fact that I tell people. If you have something to store with gas in the tank over winter, get some Avgas from a small local airport. You usually have to know someone in order to get it. It lasts a long time and keeps your carb clean. Plus, you get maybe a little extra performance. I think the gas additives for storage are kinda hokey and they kill gasoline's performance from my experience.