John Deere LX178 Lawn Tractor Question

/ John Deere LX178 Lawn Tractor Question #1  

Cabinholler

Silver Member
I own a 1993 John Deere LX178 lawn tractor with a 38 inch mower deck on it. For the life of me, I can't level this mower deck to mow level. I have tried every way I can think of to level this mower deck. This mower deck has 2 wheels in the front, and one in the rear on the left side. The right rear side did not come from John Deere with a wheel on it. That is, it has 2 wheels in the front, and one wheel in the rear on the left side, and no wheel on the right rear side. Could this be the problem why I can't get this mower to mow level by the mower deck not having a rear wheel on the right rear side of the deck? I do have the tool from John Deere to measure the blades from under the deck side to side, and front to rear.

If anyone knows the correct way to level the mower deck on this John Deere lawn tractor, I would appreciate the info very much?

Cabinholler

The water will never clear up, until you get the hogs out of the pond. (You got to find what the trouble is, and eliminate it).

/ John Deere LX178 Lawn Tractor Question #2  
I have a GT242 with the 38" deck and it has no anti-scalp wheel on the right side.

Go by your Owners manual to level the deck in the order they state, instead of measuring the distance from ground level to the blade tip , Use wood blocks cut to whatever length You are trying to set the deck to. I will also tell You that the draft links to the deck do wallow the holes out and can make a great bit of difference in being able to get the deck leveled.

Good Luck! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ John Deere LX178 Lawn Tractor Question #3  
Cabinholler,
Also, follow the guidelines for deck height vs wheel settings. You don't want the deck riding on the wheels. Make your adjustments so that the wheels are approx 1/4 inch off the ground when the deck is at the desired mowing height. Newer versions don't even have the 3rd wheel. The gage wheels are just there to catch the deck and keep it from scalping if the tractor wheel rolls into a low spot.
Let us know how things go

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ John Deere LX178 Lawn Tractor Question #4  
Cabinholler, make sure the pressure in your tires is the same. I have a LX 188 and if the tire pressure is not correct it does not cut even.

I can't remember what the owners manual says for pressure, so I just run 15 pounds in all 4 tires.

I also bought mine in 1993 and have never had to level the deck.

Bob

/ John Deere LX178 Lawn Tractor Question #5  
first time on - I own a JD LX178 - need to replace my throttle cable - removed the steering wheel and need to remove the entire side in front of the seat that that holds the throttle control switch. Not sure how to remove it. Any ideas?

/ John Deere LX178 Lawn Tractor Question #6  
Deck wheels are not to be used to gauge cutting height. They are only to catch high spots and limit scalping.