John Deere 210

/ John Deere 210 #1  

Stanb

Tractor
John Deere C210
Howdy folks:
New guy here and I am looking for some advice. My JD210 has developed a "Death Rattle" in the engine. The engine is a Kohler model K241AQS. My request is this. Is there a replacement engine that maybe fits it. John Deere no longer sells a complete engine nor does Kohler. Their only option is a short block if available. I am out in the West Texas Big Bend area and there just isn't alot options out here. Any suggestions?

Stan

/ John Deere 210 #2  
I think when you see the price of a new Kohler, you might lean a little bit more towards rebuilding.
I've seen the "premium" Kohler magnums selling for $1300-$2000 depending on model needed.

How much is the short block from deere?

/ John Deere 210 #3  
Why not disassemble the engine and see if it can be rebuilt. Parts for the older K series Kohler engines are not too expensive. It is a good engine and worth rebuilding if you can.
Ken /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ John Deere 210
Gentlemen: I did not give the bad news, the engine has just been rebuilt and had about 8 hrs on it. When the rod knock started. The fellow that did the job is a "Snow Bird" and is gone.

JD quoted me about $1500 if they could get one. They really did not want to talk to me, asking if I could not look elsewhere. Kohler did not respond to a e-mail.

Stan

/ John Deere 210 #5  
I'm not up on the Kohler numbers. What HP is the engine and is it horizontal or vertical shaft?

/ John Deere 210 #6  
According to the Small Engine Warehouse site, they seem to be saying that no currently available whole replacement engines are a drop-in fit for a 210. They list 12-16hp Kohlers - but indicate you'll have to do a bit of massaging/inventing to get them to fit.

They do list a K241 shortblock for your 210.

/ John Deere 210 #7  
The Kohler K241 engine is rated at 10 HP. It has a horizontal output shaft. Very common engine in the older John Deere, Wheelhorse, and Cub Cadet lawn tractors.
Ken /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ John Deere 210
Tim, Thanks for the info. I'll look into it. I would not be opposed to putting a larger engine in the 210 because I am running a 46 inch MMM deck. In heavy cutting it puts me down to a crawl. Last year, before I decided to re-do the engine I bought a Sears GT5000 and had to return it. The problem was the deck would only raise about 4 inches (full up position). With my old JD 210 I mow at 5 inches, because of the rocks, on about 5 acres of my patch. I've checked most of the new tractor mowers and they are just for lawns. The only thing I found with a MMM was Kubota that raised 6.5 inches. But the dealer in Odessa, TX wanted $11,000 for it. Far to rich for my blood, being retired. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ John Deere 210 #9  
If you want to pay shipping, I know a guy that will sell you a 210 with a newer Kohler engine AND a newer deck. He said he wanted 600 for it, but he MIGHT accept offers. The transmission is out, but everything else is OK. You would be buying the whole thing, but we can get rid of what you don't want. In Hillsboro, KY , NE KY.

/ John Deere 210 #10  
Howdy folks:
New guy here and I am looking for some advice. My JD210 has developed a "Death Rattle" in the engine. The engine is a Kohler model K241AQS. My request is this. Is there a replacement engine that maybe fits it. John Deere no longer sells a complete engine nor does Kohler. Their only option is a short block if available. I am out in the West Texas Big Bend area and there just isn't alot options out here. Any suggestions?

Stan

Hi Stan, My name is Rick Lewis, and I specialize in JD lawn and garden restorations. I think I have what you need which is a fresh overhaul of a Kohler K241aqs for John Deere 210. This is a complete engine. Major work has been: rebore .030, crank grind .010. New main bearings, new tappets, new take and exhaust valves. New.030 piston and rings, new .010 connecting rod, new electrical stator, new fuel pump and carburetor. All new electrical connectors. As stated this is complete including muffler and all shrouds. It will be drop in ready for $999.00 plus freight. Crated weight will be approximately 160 pounds. Engine weight is 118 dry. Engine will be pre run prior to shipment. Contact info: grpilot@aol.com I am not like that snow bird. I owned and operated a John Deere Consumer Products Dealership for 20 years in Santa Barbara.

Last edited: