GT2544 or used Deere GT235

/ GT2544 or used Deere GT235 #1  

Boog

Tractor
X500, GT 235, 3020 powershift
Hi folks,
I am new to this site and am a Deere fan. I have been looking to upgrade from my LT133 to a garden tractor. I don't want to pay the new Deere prices for their larger machines so was looking at used ones. I found a GT235 for $2800 firm. It was in good shape but then I got a wild hair and thought, 'Why don't I check out the Cubs just for the heckof it.' I saw the 2544s for only a little more than the used Deere and have been pondering the 2 for a while. The weight of the 2 is very close; the engines are too close to be a consideration; I actually prefer the smaller deck on the CC; actually prefer the CC's narrower rear tires for more bite in snow; the CC's revtek mow in reverse. What I don't know is how the Deere rear end compares to the new CC cast iron rear? Or how the strength of the frames compares? If I push snow or want to pull a Brinley sleeve hitch moldboard plow or put a ball hitch to pull my 1200lb trailer around empty, which is better? (I know you're all saying right now - both are too small /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif But if I try these which is more likely to handle these tasks and hold up? Thanks and take care guys. I am enjoying being enlightened as to the world outside the expensive Deeres.

/ GT2544 or used Deere GT235 #2  
Hi Boog and welcome. You post on a CC forum and ask which tractor is better! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
I for one bought mine for the direct drive shaft on the garden tractors vs. belts on the Deere, and I like the color /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif You will get more information on hauling those heavy things around from some one more experienced in that area. Again ---Welcome.

/ GT2544 or used Deere GT235 #3  
The Cub will pull until its wheels spin and you run out of gas.

Get the new Cub IMO. But, you can't go wrong with either.

/ GT2544 or used Deere GT235 #4  
Boog, I used to have a JD GT262. The JD's to me are more roomy behind the wheel, generally have better layout of the controls, look pretty and hold their resale. I'm with you. No way I'd cough up the dough for a new one. Sit on them both, work the controls. Get whichever you like best! You cant beat the 2000/2500/3000 cubs for the money.
G/luck
Joel

/ GT2544 or used Deere GT235 #5  
Welcome to TBN!

I don't think either of those tractors would have a problem doing what you want it to. Brand names aside... I always prefer new vs. used.

/ GT2544 or used Deere GT235 #6  
Both of these Tractors are fine. I bought a Cub Cadet GT 2544 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif last week and so far everything is fine, no problems what soever. I have a friend that has a 2004 JD Gt 235 /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif and we go at it hard and heavy about which is best. IMO I think that the shaft drive is the way to go. Belt drive vs shaft drive, you decide. All of this is JMO.