John Deere Freedom 42 Mower Deck

/ John Deere Freedom 42 Mower Deck #1  

Jack_MIlls

I am having a problem with my Freedom 42 Mulching deck. It leaves a 2" strip of uncut grass in the middle of the mowing path. This has just started this mowing season. I changed the blades thinking that the new one that I had installed last season were dull. I checked the owners manual for the correct installation, right blade and left blade, and the installation was correct.

Ideas from anyone? HELP!

/ John Deere Freedom 42 Mower Deck #2  
I can't imagine how this would be even remotely possible. The freedom deck has two overlaping blades. To somehow cut the rest, but miss the middle two incles, the blades would have to be considerably too short. Is it possible they sold you the wrong blades? Based on your post, that doesn't seem likely either.

Even with dull blades, the center two inches should get the best cut since two blades cut that area.

The freedom deck seems to cut remarkably well even with dull blades.

When installed, the blades should be one sideways and one up-and-down, that is, they should be orthogonal. It may be possible to install them upside down, but if you've checked out the installation carefully, then that also seems unlikely. Even then, I just can't picture how the middle two inches would get missed. Sorry.

Cliff

/ John Deere Freedom 42 Mower Deck #3  
I would get the original blades sharpened, and then put them back on. When you take off the current set of blades, check them for length against your original ones. I sounds like the blades you have are a bit short, but that's just a guess.

/ John Deere Freedom 42 Mower Deck #4  
Hi,

Any updates on this? I'm very interested in this as I'm very seriously considering getting an LT180 with the mulching deck. How did you like the deck prior to having this issue? Did it just start out of the blue? It was working ok last year for the last cut then first time you fired it up this year it left a 2" strip in the middle? Was the tractor used for anything over the winter or did it just sit in the barn/shed/garage?

Thanks

/ John Deere Freedom 42 Mower Deck
I haven't resolved the problem totally. I have raised the cutting deck 1/2" inch and that seems to help. The strip down the middle was not totally uncut, just seems to be knocked down and shreded as if the blades are dull. The deck seems to cut lower on the right side.
I was hoping to get information and adjust the deck myself, without the trip to the dealer. They have a 2-3 week backup in the service dept. this time of year and I mow twice a week.
I have had this mower for about 5 seasons now and it has performed perfectly until now.
I would buy the same thing again.

Jack

/ John Deere Freedom 42 Mower Deck #6  
I had the JD 42C deck on my LX266 and used it heavily for three seasons with both the mulching attachment and side discharge. I never had a problem with it leaving a 2" uncut stripe, but I did observe the deck out-of-level problem. The cut on the left side was noticeably (~ 1/2") shorter than the cut on the right.

The mower deck manual describes a procedure to level the deck. I was able to dial-out the unevenness.

/ John Deere Freedom 42 Mower Deck #7  
I have this same problem with the same deck. Changed the blades, etc. Any updates on this one?

/ John Deere Freedom 42 Mower Deck #8  
Moody check the pitch on the deck. It should be a 1/4" lower in the front then the back. Also make sure the blades are on correctly. The blades are marked left and right. Left and right as it relates to the tractor is always going forward in the direction of travel.

/ John Deere Freedom 42 Mower Deck #9  
I have this same problem with the same deck. Changed the blades, etc. Any updates on this one?

I recently purchased a X300 with a 42" deck (not sure which exact deck it is) used on craigslist and took it to the dealer for a service and new blades, the old ones looked pretty beat up, to the point where one of them had cracks and couldn't be sharpened. After the dealer did their service, I did some test cuts on my lawn and had the exact same issue. The dealer came to my place and made a few more test cuts and took the mower back. The next day they delivered it back and it cuts like a champ now. It turns out the installed the wrong blades. So long story short, you might want to check you put the correct blades on.

Derek

/ John Deere Freedom 42 Mower Deck #10  
I could be wrong on this but I believe the original blades for that deck where side to side specific in that you could have them installed the right way (top and bottom) but on the wrong spindle. I think current inventory the edge was put on both sides of the blade so did not matter which spindle it was on. Could be that is cutting with the blunt side?