John Deere L120 Oil Filter Search

/ John Deere L120 Oil Filter Search #1  

stuart

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4300
Can anybody help me determine the correct Oil Filter for an L120 Deere mowe? Thanks much.

/ John Deere L120 Oil Filter Search #2  
Yeah, John Deere can help. When Deere contracts companies to build motors for their lawn mowers they have a lock on parts. In other words, even though I'm a Briggs & Stratton dealer I can't get parts for a B&S motor that is in a JD. So really the only place you can get parts for a JD is JD...oh you gotta love owning green!

I am sure you can get a filter just about anywhere (any lawn mower shop should have it), but if you ever actually have motor problems this information could be handy.

/ John Deere L120 Oil Filter Search #3  
Deere # is AM125424

/ John Deere L120 Oil Filter Search #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Yeah, John Deere can help. When Deere contracts companies to build motors for their lawn mowers they have a lock on parts. So really the only place you can get parts for a JD is JD...oh you gotta love owning green!)</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif !!

/ John Deere L120 Oil Filter Search #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( When Deere contracts companies to build motors for their lawn mowers they have a lock on parts. In other words, even though I'm a Briggs & Stratton dealer I can't get parts for a B&S motor that is in a JD. )</font>

Really? I am confused by that since you use, I believe, a 492056 (=JD AM125424) B&S filter which I would have thought you could get if you are a B&S dealer. Am I missing something here?

Cliff

/ John Deere L120 Oil Filter Search #6  
If thats true, how come I can get the filter at Tractor Supply? They don't sell the tractor......

/ John Deere L120 Oil Filter Search #8  
You guys obviously didn't read my whole post. I stated that you can get filters at any shop, a filter is a filter is a filter.

Getting parts other than filters for that motor will be almost impossible unless you go through JD. I know this because we work on these things every day. If I call B&S and give them the model, type, & spec on a B&S motor that is in a JD the first thing they tell me "Oh, Mr. Gamble, that motor is locked in by JD, you will have to contact a authorized JD dealer. But here is the part number and we do have them in stock but you will have to pay what JD wants you to pay for it, sorry!"

No lie, that is the an exact conversation I had with one of the B&S reps before. Just laying the information on the line...

/ John Deere L120 Oil Filter Search #9  
Sorry Gamble, I did indeed misunderstand your post. So when you say "Parts" only available through JD, you mean internal engine parts, not replaceables like filters and the like.

Cliff

/ John Deere L120 Oil Filter Search #10  
Sorry Gamble. Won't happen again!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif