JD 2305 vs. JD x585

/ JD 2305 vs. JD x585 #1  

wxboy

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2305
I am looking to purchase a larger tractor than my GT235 for plowing snow and mowing(only an acre). I am considering the X585 or the 2305. One thing that is important to me is to be able to plow just about any snowstorm that hits. I don't want a plow and a snowblower so if the X585 won't be up to plowing a foot of heavy snow then I would probably go for the 2305(assuming that could handle it of course). Any feedback would be appreciated.

/ JD 2305 vs. JD x585 #2  
I just used a X585 to clear a 1 foot storm in the northern suburbs of Chicago. I have about the same amount of land and didn't need the ability to have a front end loader or backhoe. If that is what you need, then the 2305 is going to be your choice. If not, consider an X585. Great tool and good toy also.

/ JD 2305 vs. JD x585 #3  
The 585 will plow as well as the 2305 will. I had a 595 tractor and it was a plowing machine. Some of the hills and slopes I plowed on were unbelievable and the tractor never waivered. The HDAP tires are really nice in snow and in most cases chains would not be needed. The 54" front blade is actually pretty heavy duty and the hydraulic angling kit makes for a nice setup. I would have no worries on the 585 for snow removal.

John M

/ JD 2305 vs. JD x585 #4  
Both are nice tractors and cost about the same and are about the same size. In my opinion the 2305 is a better deal when you consider it's a diesel has a 3 point hitch and a 540 rear PTO which are optional on the X585. The 2305 will also have more torque and get better fuel economy.

My 430 diesel didn't use 15 gallons of fuel all summer cutting 2 acres once a week over the course of 38 hours.

I think the X500 series is a little better in the comfort and convenience area where the 2305 is more of a tractor.

If storage space is a problem the 3 point hitch can be easily removed on the 2305

Both have very happy customers

Decide what you want more;

gas or diesel
comfort or increased capability
resale value

Good luck. I would get the 2305. That's my opinion and I'm 100% positive others will differ.

/ JD 2305 vs. JD x585 #5  
I second what has been posted above, adding only that if resale is of any consequence, then go with the 2305 -- at the price point a used X would go for, there is so much competition with the sub-CUT's and CUTS that resale usually suffers. Also, if you do not intend to put on a loader or use a tiller (yes the X can use a tiller, but the 2305 is much better versed to handle one), the X's are about the most comfortable tractor to use (it's not that the 2305 is uncomfortable, but the X is the Cadillac). /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ JD 2305 vs. JD x585 #6  
Ditto, the X is a powerful four wheel drive just as capable as the 2305 for what you intend to do. If you don't need a loader then go for the X. May I suggest the HDAP tires for excellent traction in snow?

/ JD 2305 vs. JD x585 #7  
Been there done that, owned the 585 and now a 2210, and they are two different animals. If you are just wanting to cut grass, plow snow and no desire for tractor functions, then the 585 wins hands down. As a suggestion, I would go to one of the large auctions and get one there. If you can't find the locations, then email me on the side, but I watched nearly 15-X585's sell last Friday for around $7000. If you get one at 7K, you will not get hurt down the road on a possible trade, but buying retail/new on these you will get killed on the backside. I also did a cross search in MA and there are a number of them close to you between 7-8K and I bet they will bargin at this time with the new X700 series about to step out, plus there is a $500 rebate on existing ones, so the used must be suppressed even more. Alternatively, I just saw a 2210, 210 loaded and 62" mower deck in the paper for $9800 and 70 hours.

The point I trying to make is you can get a good used machine with warranty and be carefull not to miss purchase up front, because like myself and many on this site, it simply cost more $$ to correct the mistake down the road by wanting to "up grade".

/ JD 2305 vs. JD x585 #8  
I would go with the 2305 with a weight bracket and 6 suit case weights on the 3ph. I have found the most important thing in moving snow is to put as much weight on the rear axle as possible without loosing so much weight on the front that you loose steering control. Also, I don't like the way the X series sucks air. The radiator is behind the engine and that sucks all the dirty air past your legs when mowing and after finishing you will have to have an air compressor to blow all the dirt off of you.

/ JD 2305 vs. JD x585
Thank you all for your responses. It's still a tough decision. It sounds like the X585 will mow and plow in excellent fashion. My only dilemma is will I want to do more with it down the road. Based on regular prices I would pick the 2305 for the value but the tempting thing right now is the pricing on the X585 is lower than normal because the new x700's are coming out soon. I've been losing a lot of sleep over this and will continue to until I just make the plunge and buy one. If I find a used 2210 with low hours in the area that may give me the best value of all. Thanks again.

/ JD 2305 vs. JD x585 #10  
wxboy
Having owned a X585 with tiller, johnny bucket and then a JD loader and can attest to it's ability for cutting grass and doing material moving. It fell short though on digging and lifting heavy loads. Like others have mentioned if you are going to use a loader get the 2210/2305. The 3pt also is better in lifting and functionality. I traded to a 2210, 210 loader and used the same 54" mmm and tiller and am glad I did.