John Deere ZTR Price Check

/ John Deere ZTR Price Check #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
Fellow Posters:

My good friend and dealer was showing me two of the ZTR's he offers. One is a 757 and the other a 797. He knows I have been looking. I just do not know if I do enough mowing to justify a machine like these. My father who I have described in previous postings, is now 76. He mows his lawn of around two acres and his lawn at his cabin of about one acre with his two year old JD 335 garden tractor. I mow a local soccer field for free (because I like to mow, and am friends with the father of two of the players--we split duty). That total area is 5+ acres which I mow on average twice monthly. I am still entertaining options but here are the original finances: my dealer says he will help me sell Dad's 335 (I bought it for him--he really does not care if I were to trade it out) and thinks it would bring $4200-$4500 in its current state (I paid $6200 plus tax two years ago). He priced me a 757 with a light kit at $7900 plus tax and a 797 at $10,100 plus tax. He says the 757 is a great mowing machine and the 797 with a 6' deck is a monster. Obviously, it would be nice to ride around on a 6', 29 hp machine mowing at 10 mph, but that is excessive. It also would be too big to put on my dad's trailer, but not mine. The 757 seems nice and has a 60" deck. I could potentially leave it at my dad's and get it when I need it, but that is a drive. I could also buy a 2072RFM for my tractor and forget doing it for 1800-2000. What does the group think of these prices; do we think it is worth it to consider? The reason I mention trading Dad's tractor is that he might wish to use the ZTR, and as he gets older I will either have to hire out or do his lawns for him more often, so I want something fast that does a good job.

John M

/ John Deere ZTR Price Check #2  
JCM, I'm not sure if This E-bay auction is the same as was on a few weeks ago or not , But there are a couple that do sell there... This particular one has a buy it now price of $8300 which is more than the one you have on the hook, Your deal might be a decent one compared to this one ...

For myself I have a 6' RFM on the tractor and I like it for mowing large open areas and its fits just right for the tractor, But I also have a 5' ZTR that I use now and the RFM is just stored... If your time is of value a ZTR will definately give more time for other things, Like riding your tractor... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The extra 1' the ZTR gives up is more than made up by its speed and agility... for instance 6' mower and tractor would take about 3 1/2 to 4 hrs. to mow 4acres + or - with all the obstacles .... The ZTR will cut the same grass in 2 - 2 1/2 hrs... But you will get dirty because your closer to the ground and the chute blows out debris so fast it floats in the air and you end up running through it over and over... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Oh well nothings perfect unless you can get someone else to mow for you - FREE...

The ultimate decision is yours How much deck does a 335 have ? Is it worth it to you, Or are you just kinda thinking out loud? ( I do that alot, It annoys the wife /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif) Getting the itch for something new??? Good Luck

/ John Deere ZTR Price Check
Thanks for the insight. To some degree, I am thinking out loud, but I do plan to do something pretty soon. My biggest concern now is space. My tractor takes up a fair amount of garage space and is a pain to haul. The ZTR would be easy to haul but would also add to my space consideration concerns. My dealer is pretty good about working with me, but I have not dealt in ZTR's for a while, so I did not know truly how good a price I would be getting. Sounds to me that if we traded the 335 in, we could be OTD for a little less than $4000 for a nice ZTR. My dad already has an older garden tractor that he can use for other things.

John M