John Deere F925 Front Mower.

/ John Deere F925 Front Mower. #1  

BigDamnFool

Tractor
Kubota L3400 HST
Does anyone have any opinions on a John Deere F925 front mower. I'm thinking about purchasing a used one as an option to using a rear finish mower. Price around $1500 for a 1997 with about 2000 hours on it. The maintanance has been kept up on it and is in overall good condition. It has a few battle scars but is still prettier than my wife. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think that this would be a better option for me than an RFM because I have a lot of trees to mow around and though my property is pretty flat, the transitions are pretty abrupt. They also seem to me like they would be more stable than a tractor w/ an RFM on slopes mowing around my pond. Would be using to mow 3-4 acres weekly. Thanks for any input you can give.

Tiny

/ John Deere F925 Front Mower. #2  
Tiny, I have looked at them in the past and they were very tempting , If it has the diesel which it probably does and it runs great and everything works at that price it would be mine... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have seen two for sale near me one JD F??? $3200 6' deck ran good but no hr. meter /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The other was a Lesco diesel 4WD 6' deck 1800 hrs. $3600 , So if your price is correct it sounds very tempting if the mower checks out to be good...

edit: I don't know really if they would more stable but at least as stable as a tractor with RFM...

/ John Deere F925 Front Mower. #3  
Tiny, I have an F911, very similar to the F925. Mine has over 1400 hours on it now. I bought it originally because I wanted better mowing speed and a mower I would not have to worry about, just get on it and mow. I mow more than you and I can say it has exceeded my expectations. Very solid, very well built units.

Without seeing the unit I couldn't give you an impression as to it's condition but the only ones I have seen in that price range were past their prime. With that said, I would not be afraid of one with 2000 hours that has been maintained. I have seen F935s (same diesel as the F925 as I recall) with over 3500 hours and the engine was never tore down.

As far as stability, I mow the road right of way by my property and there are a couple of areas where the slope is enough that the F911 will slide down if the grass is wet. I consider it to be very stable. You can get into situations where traction can be a problem. If I ever find a deal on a F1145 (all wheel drive) unit I will consider moving to that.

dsb

/ John Deere F925 Front Mower.
Thank you for the replys. I did a little research after this post and was thinking of trying to find a ZTR instead but after seeing the prices on decent used or even overly abused ZTR's I decided that I would be just fine with the Deere. Had friend of mine ( owner's next door neighbor) take a good look at it for me and gave me his approval on the machine. I trust his opinion on it. Actually said if I didn't buy it he may buy it himself. (he has older Dixie Chopper that is becoming a chore to maintain and is probably overdue to be retired.) So I called the owner we came to a price of $1700 granted my inspection turns out alright and I'm going to pick it up Saturday morning. Owner also said he would throw in a bunch of parts he has for it, Blades, belts, Etc... Thanks for the advice.

Tiny

/ John Deere F925 Front Mower. #5  
Hi Tiny I am looking at a F925 1998 with 600 hours on a 35 hp deisel motor and a 60 inch deck asking $5700.00 at the dealer. Machine looks very clean and low hours seriously thinking about picking it up as a second machine to my small fleet. I cut about 10 acres a week I would say. Currently using a JD757 commercial 60 ". I never buy commercial lawn gear new because I try and budget used for this stuff and look for deals. My 2011 3720 cab tractor is the biggest new purchase I have made to date so for the lawn gear I don't mind something good if it is used.
Did you get the 925? do you like it?

Thanks
David

/ John Deere F925 Front Mower. #6  
BigDamnFool said:
It has a few battle scars but is still prettier than my wife. .

Tiny

This is an old thread that popped up today, so I read it. The first post caught my eye....ouch! ...so how's that sofa working out for you? LOL

/ John Deere F925 Front Mower. #7  
This is an old thread that popped up today, so I read it. The first post caught my eye....ouch! ...so how's that sofa working out for you? LOL

lol yea I don't know if I would say something like that to compare machinery..lol

/ John Deere F925 Front Mower. #8  
FYI guys with the front mounts, check the drive shaft from the tractor to the deck for any side to side movement! That shaft is about 500 bucks. And the shaft that runs from the back at the pot belts to the front pot shaft, if those bearings weren't greased on top of the front axle that can ruin both shafts. Just thought I would point that out.