Picking up a John Deere 110 this afternoon.

/ Picking up a John Deere 110 this afternoon. #1  

MT372HERE

Silver Member
Found it in a local classified.

Round Fenders
Factory Hydraulics
8hp Kohler (burns alot of oil)
Wide front tires
No cracks in the hood, or grille
clean, some surface rust at the bottom of the pedastel.
1/4 Turn Steering play
46" Deck, perfect.

PTO pulleys are rusted, but not rusted tight.

Im getting it for 200 bucks.

It runs of you pour gas dow nthe carb, so it it likely gummed up. No biggy.

The Starter/Generators works perfectly.

Tommy-

/ Picking up a John Deere 110 this afternoon.
Got it.

Its grazing in my yard right now.

The no start problem was the fuel was turned off, and the Filter strainer was full of gunk.

CLeaned it all off, gave the bowl a courtesy dump, and it fired right off.

Hopped on it, and it worked, runs @ one speed because the control wire broke off....but it runs.

Burns alot of oil though, not nough to foul the plug, or cause a miss, but enough to drive off all wildlife for a mile and a half..

Needs a new Rear Belt to make the Variator work, but its all there.

Deck works, and it cuts grass. Bearings are loud, but it cuts good.

/ Picking up a John Deere 110 this afternoon. #3  
You have to send some pics of this beast.

/ Picking up a John Deere 110 this afternoon. #4  
These are nice old tractors, and even with the 8 HP motor will surprise you with what they can do. Have you figured out what year it is yet? The round fenders make it older than 1968.

bontai_Joe said:
These are nice old tractors, and even with the 8 HP motor will surprise you with what they can do. Have you figured out what year it is yet? The round fenders make it older than 1968.

Well, It has round fenders, and Factory Hydraulic lift, so it has to be either a 66 or 67.

I repaired the throttle cable this morning, and drove it around for about 25 minutes, it has more rod knock than I thought, pretty pronounced at higher speeds.

Still wont idle. Runs rough at higher speeds, pretty smooth, but not enough for me. It hunts at idle.

If I raise the idle just a 1/4 turn it wont idle down at all. If I turn it down 1/4 turn it will run lower, but will shut off.

I can also remove the entire Idle mixture screw while it is running, and it does nothing...

It's a Carter Type N carburetor.

/ Picking up a John Deere 110 this afternoon. #6  
John Deere 110
Year Serial Number
1966 40,001-65,000
1967 65,001-100,000

Hope this helps you to determine the year.
Ken

KENSFM said:
John Deere 110
Year Serial Number
1966 40,001-65,000
1967 65,001-100,000

Hope this helps you to determine the year.
Ken

Model T1313?
Serial is > 071,457

So that makes it a 1967 Model.

woohoo!

/ Picking up a John Deere 110 this afternoon. #8  
I had a 110 JD that I traded off about 2 years ago. It had a K-141 10 HP Kohler engine that was blown when I got it and still had to pay $300 for it. I had it bored .020 new piston and valves ground. Ran like a champ. My mistake was I didn't mike the crank for out of roundness. A short time later it slung a rod. So I had the crank ground a new rod and up and running again. Mine had a electric deck lift with a solenoid for up and another for down. The rear wheel seals were leaking when I got rid of it. It was a great little tractor.

/ Picking up a John Deere 110 this afternoon. #9  
Even though this motor is just a whisker away from being 40 years old, parts are still available for it. And the old "K" series Kohlers are one of the easier motors to rebuild. Sounds like your carb needs a careful and thorough cleaning, and you will probably be good to go. Change the oil incase the current oil is contaminated with gas, water or what ever else might have crept into the crankcase. That alone just might eliminate some of your rod knock.

leftybob said:
I had a 110 JD that I traded off about 2 years ago. It had a K-141 10 HP Kohler engine that was blown when I got it and still had to pay $300 for it. I had it bored .020 new piston and valves ground. Ran like a champ. My mistake was I didn't mike the crank for out of roundness. A short time later it slung a rod. So I had the crank ground a new rod and up and running again. Mine had a electric deck lift with a solenoid for up and another for down. The rear wheel seals were leaking when I got rid of it. It was a great little tractor.

I bought a 198X? Wheel Horse 310-8 for 300 bucks last year, Igot it not running, with the Kohler 10hp Magnum.

I got it running but it smoked alot and had no power. So I pulled the head and the cylinder tested WORN 0.020 Over STD... The Top Ring was broken into about 15 peices!

So I tore it down, Had it bored 0.030 over, the crank mic'ed 0.001 too small..within spec. So I put on a new rod, new 0.030 Piston, CM rings, new governor shaft, and rebuilt the carb.

Ive got about 15 hours on it, and so far so good.

I tore down the K181 on my Old 702 2 years ago to rebuild it...but Hurricane Ivan hit...So before it hit, I boxed the whole thing and put the parts on my Screened in porch, then pushed the tractor onto my porch.

After the storm was over I was on the porch and I used gasket material to seal everything up..Put the old piston and rings back in, got it all together...did it all without any sort of light, or power.

It ran! Broke off close to 15 4X4's off at the ground, pulled a bunch of stumps to the road, pulled a sweeper. It never gave me any trouble. So far it hasnt leaked a drop of oil, no knocks, but it smokes just slightly under a load, which Is why I had it apart. I like the old Kohlers!

This one is pretty bad. Doesnt look like it has ever been apart either. It does have a non-stock muffler, that I will have to cut off. I think Im going to go with a stock side discharge muffler, instead of a stack...