STX38 PTO Clutch

/ STX38 PTO Clutch #1  

jim2210

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2210
While trim mowing with my JD STX38, the blades all of a sudden stopped spinning. Everything seemed in order, so I figured it must be the PTO switch. I replaced the switch and still nothing. I realized that when I'm off the tractor while it's running (parking brake on) and I pull the PTO knob, the tractor shuts off, so the switch is probably not the problem. Does anyone know where to go from here?

/ STX38 PTO Clutch #2  
I'm thinking that the clutch's air gap needs to be adjusted. On the front of the clutch, you should see 3 or 4 bolts with springs under them, they are the adjustment screws. Insert a .018" feeler gage between the clutch's plates and tighten the screws. You will have to go around to each screw several times as adjusting one effects the setting at the others, but you will eventually "dial it in". I'm guessing that based on the age of the tractor, it's worn enough to open the gap, requiring more and more current to pull the clutch faces together until the gap is too big for the electromagnet to engage.

/ STX38 PTO Clutch
Thanks for the reply. I"ll give that a shot, especially after looking at the prices of new electric clutches. After just replacing a starter and other "wear" items, it's starting to get expensive. Hopefully this will work. Thanks again!

BTW - where about in Northeast PA are you?

/ STX38 PTO Clutch #4  
I live near Saylorsburg. Just look for the edge of the world and then back up about 100 yards :D Actually about 30 miles north of Easton and about 20 miles west of Stroudsburg

/ STX38 PTO Clutch
I"m actually just south of Scranton. Small world!

/ STX38 PTO Clutch #6  
How big of job is it to replace the Clutch? I think mine was worn out from the deck in badly need of the bearings to be replaced. One spindle wobbled in it's spot. I could do without JD's labor being involved here.

/ STX38 PTO Clutch #7  
I did note the dates of this thread. I added for those who find this thread thru a search engine.

It's a really good idea to occasionally pull the clutch for a COMPLETE inspection even if it appears to functioning properly. Mine was making some noise so I pulled it and found that the top bearing was on it's way out! I found a COMPLETE PTO clutch NIB for $100.00.
Replacement is very easy.

Disconnect the electrical connector, two pin located just below the starter. It has a locking tab on the connector that can be tough to disconnect. Thread the connector down thru the hole.

Remove the 5/8 bolt with a concave washer that treads up the crank shaft.

Whole shootin match should drop right off the shaft. A pin hangs down thru a hole on the PTO. Note that it's possible for the steering linkage to wear against the two wires, they are in a yellow teflon looking sleeve.

When reassembling make sure you have the electrical wires closest to the hole they have to be threaded up thru. Not sure what the bolt is torqued to. I'll look that up & get back.