X320

/ X320 #1  

JD4ME2

Tractor
JD 3320 eHydro, X500 & Z930A
Does anyone know the difference between the K58 & K62 Transmissions.
I purchased an X320 lawn tractor in June, thinking it was more heavy duty
and would last longer on hills than the 100 series. I now see that the 190C
uses the K62 Transmission.
Thank you for any help.

/ X320 #2  
Here is some info for the K58 from another site that was posted awhile back.

"Here is some info I received from Tuff Torq; much of it has been covered on another related post, but the thing that caught my interest was that the K58 is apparently going to be taking the place of the K62.

*snip*

Mike,

I think that you would be better off wit the K58 transmission rather than
the K46 given the various attachments & operations you propose for the X300
series tractor.

The K58 is taking the place of the K62 transmission in Tuff Torq's line-up.

Although the K58 has similar physical size & shape of the K46 it is a
stronger transaxle (~27% stronger) than the K46.
Rated torque
K46 171 ft lb
K58 217 ft lb

The K58 has 1" axle shafts vs 3/4" axles on K46.

The K58 is equipped with a charge pump.
The charge pump (same as K57) reduces aeration of the oil thus
increasing life of the transaxle. Charge pump also
contributes to the increased rated torque of the transaxle.

Regards,

Duane Deardorff
Engineer
Tuff Torq Corporation
5943 Commerce Blvd
Morristown, Tennessee 37814

/ X320 #3  
Here's another:

"As I mentioned in my last e-mail the K58, although it is in a small package, similar to the K46/K57 case size, is indeed as strong and durable as the K62 that it replaces. With the introduction of new technologies and materials we, here in the transmission industry, are finding new ways to accomplish the same functions in a smaller package than we were able to 8 years ago when the K62 was developed. This is similar developmental progressions as is experienced in most products; whether it's engines,
computers & other electronic equipment.

The biggest detriment to life of a transmission is excessive oil temperatures (>90°) resulting in reduced lubricating (cushioning between components) characteristic of the oil. Thus, scouring of mating parts'surfaces will occur, increasing internal leakage and in turn lowering
efficiency of the transaxle. Your first inclination that less oil in the K58, due to physical size, will affect its durability. But, In fact, the K58 has nearly same internal reservoir capacity as the K62. (2.4 vs 2.5
liters).

There are other area of the K58 that contribute to controlling oil temperature other than internal oil capacity.

1. Fan size (dia.) of K58 is larger than what has been recommended on K62 contributing to increased air flow (cfm) over the external surfaces of transmission case.

2. The charge pump of the K58 contributes to a more efficient, cooler operating transmission. K62 is not equipped with charge pump. Tuff Torq's similar model K66 does feature a charge pump.

So, once again the K58 has same rated torque and durability specifications as the K62. Our durability bench tests prove this out. On the other hand,
our OEM customers (such as JD) must determine, through extensive testing, if the transmission they incorporate, satisfy their project needs in life & performance.

Rated and continuous torque are the same.

Hope this helps you better understand the workings of Integrated Hydrostatic Transmissions (IHT).

/ X320
Thank you very much MFD, you answered my questions.

/ X320 #5  
Glad to have helped, I also have an X320 and found these posts on another forum while looking for info on the Tranny.

/ X320 #6  
MFD480, can you compare the K62 vs K66 Tuff Torq transmission, I and considering the Husqvarna TS 354xd which uses the K66 and Cub Cadet GX54 d which uses the K62

/ X320 #7  
bfor
:welcome: to TBN

You may need to send mfd480 a PM as he has not been active since 2013, and this be an old thread from 2006.

Hope that you can get the info you are looking for.