John Deere 318

/ John Deere 318 #1  

epic6500sr

Tractor
Grasshopper 725 G2,321D and a John Deere L100
I am considering buying a John Deere 318 for my grandpa, he is 78 and has had 13 strokes, and the only thing he does passionately is mow, so I figure I should get him a good mower. However, he can't use his feet very well, so I can't buy him a hydro, which there isn't any good mower these days that isn't, and he has tryed unsuccessfully to use my ZTR's before. So, I need you guy's opinion, I want him to have something good, but not tractor size, all he does is mow. The 318 I found has 1000 hours, and is a 1983, its clean, with the 50inch deck. So, I just am curious if the 318 would be good for grandpa, he deserves the best money can buy, and I am going to get him the best I can find, no matter the price. If anyone has a different model, please suggest it, anything that is gear or a hand hydro. Thanks

/ John Deere 318 #2  
318 is a good choice, but 1000 hours is quite a bit. Not that it doesn't have a lot of life left in it, but it is likely to need some attention. The 430 is pretty much the same tractor with a 3 cylinder Yanmar liquid cooled diesel engine. Still has hand hydro (foot hydro came in on the next model - 4X5). 400 and 420 are the gas engine models of the next generation after the 318. A clean 430 would be my choice. I have a 455 with the Yanmar diesel and absolutely love it (but is has foot hydro).

/ John Deere 318 #3  
The old 318s are a great garden tractor and are hand operated Hydro. A step up is a 322 which is the same chassis but with a 3cyl Yanmar liquid cooled engine. You won't find a smoother tractor. A lot less vibration and more dependable, longer lived engine. A bigger model would be the old 420 or 430. They too are hand operated but use a twin cylinder air cooled engine similar to the 318. The 4 series is bigger and rides a lot smoother. Also has differential lock and Low/High side for more varied speed. The 322 and 4 series are harder to find but are worth the search if comfort is your concern. And you are right,,, he deserves the best you can find!!! :)

/ John Deere 318 #4  
ovrszd said:
The old 318s are a great garden tractor and are hand operated Hydro. A step up is a 322 which is the same chassis but with a 3cyl Yanmar liquid cooled engine. You won't find a smoother tractor. A lot less vibration and more dependable, longer lived engine.

I think you mean 332.

A bigger model would be the old 420 or 430. They too are hand operated but use a twin cylinder air cooled engine similar to the 318. The 4 series is bigger and rides a lot smoother. ...)

420 is two cylinder gas. 430 is 3 cylinder Yanmar diesel.

I forgot about the 332. That would also be a good choice, and a little less expensive than a 4XX.

/ John Deere 318 #5  
I've never heard anything but raving reveiws on these machines. I checked out a 322 quite a while ago and seemed built like a tank... quite and smooth.

/ John Deere 318 #6  
Regarding the 322. Yes, there is a 322. It has a 3 cylinder yanmar gas engine (not diesel). This motor is the same block as the 332's diesel engine, but is set up to run gas.

It is liquid cooled and super smooth running, as well as quiet. Other than the motor, it is essentially the same as other 300 series tractors (such as the 318). It would be a good fit.

/ John Deere 318 #7  
I think he meant 322. It is a 3 cylinder GAS version of the Yanmar diesel engine in the 332. Both share the same physical dimensions of the 318. The 322 is said to be one of the smoothest JD garden tractors of that era. Not very common though.

You should be able to find a lower hour 318 if you're willing to wait. There is one for sale here in VT with only 427 hours for example, early 90's vintage. You could also look for a restored one. You might want to checkout Weekend Freedom Machines. Very good site for JD lawn and garden tractor enthusiasts. Another good source is machinefinder.com to see what the dealers have available in your area. I would think a 318 would be a fine choice. I hope my grandkids are as nice as you when the time comes.

/ John Deere 318 #8  
Sorry about that. I knew there was a gas 322, but did not realize that it was a Yanmar engine. I was only familiar with the diesel Yanmar's. Learn something new every day.

/ John Deere 318 #9  
I agree with the assessment of the 1,000 hours being a lot for a 318 Deere. Looking around for a lower hour 318 may be wise. Try Used Tractors at TractorHouse.com: John Deere Tractors, used farm tractors and farm equipment, Case IH, New Holland, Agco, Caterpillar. for some listings.

The John Deere 318 is argueably the best lawn & garden tractor of all time. The prices for used ones testify to that. I would say the 318 is in the top three of all time. My favorite is the 455 with 4-wheel steer.

Do not step up in age to the vertical-shaft 300-series Deeres that were produced in the mid-1990s. They are not the same caliber tractors as the 318/322/332.

I ran hundreds of hours on my father's 332 diesel in the early-'90s...both of us disliked that tractor a great deal. Compared to the Deere 120 it replaced, our Deere 332 was loud, ate belts on a regular basis, steered hard, lifted implements too slowly and vibrated a lot. That 332 almost soured me completely on green machinery. My father was so glad that he traded it on a Deere 455.

Yes, there was indeed a 322 tractor. One of my uncles and a co-worker of mine have 322 Deeres with the Yanmar 3-cylinder gas engine. Both are pleased with them.