Looking at John Deere 425 - 455 AWS

/ Looking at John Deere 425 - 455 AWS #1  

Jason B

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 425( soon to be 455)
Hi

I have been seriously looking at buying a John Deere 425 -455 with AWS. Over this past weekend I went to look at a 445 AWS that is coming up in an auction. It is 99 model, athough the engine runs good, the machine has 2,765 hours on it. I was wondering if anyone out there has ran or seen a 445 with over 2,000 + hours still being used. I have seen high houred 455's, but their Diesel, but not many 445's with that many hours. The machine is in pretty good shape, but the high hours bother me. I am thinking that with over 2700 + hours, that the engine will probably need work along with the transmission. The auction also had a 425 with 2800+ hours on it, but it was 2WS. I would like to find one that has been 800 - 1,000 hours if possible. Take Care Jason B

/ Looking at John Deere 425 - 455 AWS #2  
I had a 445 AWS the engine by far outlasted the tranny. My 445 up and died at 3999 hours to be exact, and she didn't have any problems. I had to replace the deck wheels 1ce, otherwise there wasn't anything else besides standard maintance (i.e. belts, filters, headlights, fluids, etc.). These are great machines, HOWEVER, unless you know the person before that owned it and you know they changed the fluid, I would want the tranny opened up so I could look at it to see its shape. However, if you're a brave man I would buy that 445, but I am not that brave. Also, I forgot to mention I had to replace a few sets of bushings on the AWS stuff, they are cheap and don't take long to install. So, if you're brave go for it, I know they CAN last that long. Good Luck, Let us know the outcome

/ Looking at John Deere 425 - 455 AWS #3  
Wow, I had no idea that the 400-series tractors would run that long! My father still has 3,500 hours to go on his 455 AWS at that rate. The 400-series tractors feel really strong and apparently they are as good as they feel.

/ Looking at John Deere 425 - 455 AWS #4  
455's are the best! I mow across slope on a pond dam that at its steepest part is 35 degree slope. I doubt that many other model's would do that.

/ Looking at John Deere 425 - 455 AWS
Hi

I passed on the 445 AWS that came up in the auction, I did not even attend the auction, but did go to the viewing 2 days prior to the sale. The engine sounded good but the power steering was loose( probably ready for rebuild). There were several rust spots on the unit. It appeared that it was a commerical unit. As of now, I am looking at a 1997 John Deere 425 AWS at my local dealer, with 585 hours on it. Seeing those 2,000 + houred 425's at the auction has me convinced this tractor will last for a long time. The unit currently has a 60 inch deck but I may have them switch it out for a "54" deck. I don't really need the 60 inch deck as of now. Not sure as of yet if I will go through with the deal but we will see. Take Care Jason B

/ Looking at John Deere 425 - 455 AWS #6  
I had a new 445 in 99. I traded it when I moved up to the 4410 I have now. Still needed something smaller. I was at my dealer getting some filters and they had a mint 98 455 with just over 200 hours. Bought it on the spot and have no regrets what so ever. The 455 sips fuel compared to my 445. The 425, 445, and 455 are very nice lawn tractors. The 455 gets my vote if you can hold out and find a nice one. I plan to hold on to my for a long time.

Craig

/ Looking at John Deere 425 - 455 AWS
Hi Guys

Thanks for the opnions. I just bought a 425 AWS from my local dealer with a 60" deck. Tractor is in very nice shape and so is the deck. The unit only has about 585 hours on it. I am picking it up at my local dealer this friday! I am really looking forward to spring so that I can cut grass with the 425. This is my very first Deere Garden tractor, coming from running two Agco Allis lawn and Garden tractors( which I still will run). Take Care Jason B

/ Looking at John Deere 425 - 455 AWS #8  
I think that you will be impressed with the cut of the deck. My father's 455 deck cut much than his previous 332.

You made a wise purchase.

/ Looking at John Deere 425 - 455 AWS #9  
Hi Jason,
We have two 455's... one with the 60" deck and an AWS with the 54" deck. My personal favorite is the "regular" 455 with the 60" deck as it will really cover some ground, and the AWS takes a little getting used to in my opinion.
Am I correct in thinking your 435 is a gasser? One of the biggest positives about the 455's is the diesel sipping engine.

/ Looking at John Deere 425 - 455 AWS #10  
Hi

I passed on the 445 AWS that came up in the auction, I did go to the viewing though.
2* The unit currently has a 60 inch deck but I may have them switch it out for a "54" deck. I don't really need the 60 inch deck as of now. Not sure as of yet if I will go through with the deal but we will see. Take Care Jason B
2* To me going with the 54'' mower is a mistake.

Hi

I have been seriously looking at buying a John Deere 425 -455 with AWS. Over this past weekend I went to look at a 445 AWS that is coming up in an auction. It is 99 model, athough the engine runs good, the machine has 2,765 hours on it. I was wondering if anyone out there has ran or seen a 445 with over 2,000 + hours still being used. I have seen high houred 455's, but their Diesel, but not many 445's with that many hours. The machine is in pretty good shape, but the high hours bother me. I am thinking that with over 2700 + hours, that the engine will probably need work along with the transmission. The auction also had a 425 with 2800+ hours on it, but it was 2WS. I would like to find one that has been 800 - 1,000 hours if possible. Take Care Jason B
I'd like the hour range under 1000.

Hi Jason,
We have two 455's... one with the 60" deck and an AWS with the 54" deck.
1*My personal favorite is the "regular" 455 with the 60" deck as it will really cover some ground, and the AWS takes a little getting used to in my opinion.
Am I correct in thinking your 435 is a gasser?
6*One of the biggest positives about the 455's is the diesel sipping engine.
1* the 60 '' is king.
'
6*The 455 diesel is the only x400 series i'd even consider.

You may want to do some research on this engine. The gas engines had some plastic cam gear issues with them breaking at around 1000 hours plus or minus 200 hours.
A steel cam gear became a standard item around 1997-8* I never paid much attention since I have the 455 diesel. Very nice units otherwise.
8*The plastic cam thing is why I would not buy a X400 gasser .:)