Help sweeper/broom for 445 JD (deployed Iraq)

/ Help sweeper/broom for 445 JD (deployed Iraq) #1  

krm944

Greetings from SandLand,

My Dad's birthday is approaching and he has a 445 John Deere Lawn and Garden tractor. I am trying to buy him a rotary broom for his birthday and have it shipped to him.

I went JD's website and asked about fitment and they replied that the 51 inch rotary broom is what i need.

I have searched and not been able to find one, but have found numerous 58 and 60 inch Model 246 brooms that can be shipped to him.

He currently has a 2 stage 48 inch snowblower on the front now. I am not sure which quick hitch this uses.

My question and the Help I need: Will the numerous 58 and 60 inch 246 sweepers that I have found fit his tractor? What is different about the 246 rotary broom? Are they all the same RPM and direction of rotation? Would he need to purchase a different quick hitch? If all he needs is to unbolt the mounting device, buy one from John Deere and install I will purchase him a 246.

Thank you very much
Kyle
US NAVY
Iraq
Krm944@hotmail.com

/ Help sweeper/broom for 445 JD (deployed Iraq) #2  
Kyle, the 51 does seem to be the broom that fits directly. I cannot tell if the others could be made to fit - they seem to be made for the older 420 and 430 tractors. The 51 should plug right in using your Dad's quick hitch and front drive shaft.

I looked around on "machinefinder.com" and there are quite a number of 51's for sale. Hope this link works for you: Welcome to the New MachineFinder

but if not, go to machinefinder.com and search for John Deere equipment, lawn and garden and commercial mowing, and "51." You might be able to find a dealer near where your Dad lives, or maybe they can ship to a dealer near him. Post again if you have trouble finding what you need.

Good luck and stay safe!

Tim

/ Help sweeper/broom for 445 JD (deployed Iraq) #3  
safest bet is to buy new from JD.

/ Help sweeper/broom for 445 JD (deployed Iraq) #4  
Kyle,
First,
Thank you for your service.
and I hope you are headed back home soon.

As far as a broom for your father's tractor., JD
discontinued the old 51 broom, and is now making
a 52 model. This new broom is a little different than
the old 51, mostly in gearbox placement. (offset to the
left instead of centered)
This new broom is only compatable with the new style
JD quick hitch, on the X700 (and older X400 and X500)
tractors. This new hitch is NOT retrofittable to the older
445 of your Dad's. If you want to put the new 52 broom on
the 445, JD has a DTAC case about what to do about the
driveshaft length to make it work, although they still don't
"recomment" this. If you need further info, let me know and
I can get you the details.

:D

/ Help sweeper/broom for 445 JD (deployed Iraq)
ALL,

Many thanks for the replies. I have emailed a few folks with units for sale on the net and I have searched at Machine Finder.Com

One tool that I have been using is EBAY and almost every day there is a model 246 broom on there in my price range from someone who will ship Freight to my dad.

What would need to be done to make a 246 work on a 445? Why are the 246 brooms reasonable in price compared to the 51s that are super high.

I have found a 246 in nice shape for about 350.00 The 51s have been pricing over 1200.00 and thats too deep for my pockets.

Again many thanks.

Kyle

/ Help sweeper/broom for 445 JD (deployed Iraq)
Well a few nights on watch with the internet and I found a model 51 John Deere broom that needed bristles and hitch. I stole the broom and have sourced replacement bristles from SWEEPSTER for $185, however I am at a loss for a hitch.

I have been to JD Parts site and it shows a BM17347 as the Quick Hitch that mounts the 51 broom to the 445. It also shows a new hitch from JD is $650!!

Where are some good places to source a used BM17347 hitch? What should I expect to pay for a used one?

Thanks in advance,

Kyle

/ Help sweeper/broom for 445 JD (deployed Iraq) #7  
The quick hitch with the hydraulic angle kit does run at $600+ new. You can try MachineFinder and that auction site for a used quick hitch also, however most of the eBay auctions I've seen for the quick hitches top out at $500 or more when it's all said and done.

I think Bercomac may make a copy of the JD quick hitch for a little less than the JD version. They might also have a front broom as well.

/ Help sweeper/broom for 445 JD (deployed Iraq) #8  
I was shopping for the 52 broom for my 455 with older front hitch when I saw your post. Are you saying this broom will not fit on my 455 or the x series front hitch won稚. I would hate to buy one and find out the broom won稚 fit. I do know that the x series front hitch does not fit on the 425/445/455 but the older ones do fit the x series.

QUOTE=Dutch445;1112262]Kyle,
First,
Thank you for your service.
and I hope you are headed back home soon.

As far as a broom for your father's tractor., JD
discontinued the old 51 broom, and is now making
a 52 model. This new broom is a little different than
the old 51, mostly in gearbox placement. (offset to the
left instead of centered)
This new broom is only compatable with the new style
JD quick hitch, on the X700 (and older X400 and X500)
tractors. This new hitch is NOT retrofittable to the older
445 of your Dad's. If you want to put the new 52 broom on
the 445, JD has a DTAC case about what to do about the
driveshaft length to make it work, although they still don't
"recomment" this. If you need further info, let me know and
I can get you the details.

:D[/QUOTE]

/ Help sweeper/broom for 445 JD (deployed Iraq) #9  
You realize you've raised a 12 year old thread? Hope you don't have to wait that long for an answer!!!!

Welcome to TBN.