All Wheel Steer on the John Deere 425,445, and 455

/ All Wheel Steer on the John Deere 425,445, and 455 #1  

epic6500sr

Tractor
Grasshopper 725 G2,321D and a John Deere L100
I am looking at a used JD 455 with a 60" deck, 830 hours, and it has all wheel steer. I am a big fan of ZTR's however the particular piece of property I am mowing has severe hills, and I am not under using the word severe, and they stay relatively wet toward the bottom seeing that they are the ledge's of ditches. I was wondering first of all whether or not $5500 is a good deal for this mower, its in pretty good shape. Secondly, do the all wheel steer mowers have any problems with steering mechanisms that a normal 2 wheel steer wouldn't? Thirdly, will it get stuck when I turn to go up the hill? Any opinions about the 455 AWS or about the price, I would be very appriciative to hear them. Thanks

/ All Wheel Steer on the John Deere 425,445, and 455 #2  
The Deere 4WS systems have held up very well on the garden tractors. Depending on what else (if anything) you want to do besides mowing, I would recommend that you look at a new X534 Multi-Terrain tractor with the 54" mower deck. This would give you the manuverability of 4WS plus a lockable (foot-operated) rear differential for those "scary" areas. If all you need to do is mow, this would be a great tractor for you. A brand new X540 / 54 should sell for right at 7K...

If you want / need to do more things with your tractor, the larger used 400 Series (comparable to the new X700 Series) might be better for you, as a Category 0 three-point hitch and Rear PTO (and the implements to go with it) are available. $5500.00 might be a tad high for the 455, depending on it's condition and maintenance history.

/ All Wheel Steer on the John Deere 425,445, and 455 #3  
epic6500sr said:
I am looking at a used JD 455 with a 60" deck, 830 hours, and it has all wheel steer. I am a big fan of ZTR's however the particular piece of property I am mowing has severe hills, and I am not under using the word severe, and they stay relatively wet toward the bottom seeing that they are the ledge's of ditches. I was wondering first of all whether or not $5500 is a good deal for this mower, its in pretty good shape. Secondly, do the all wheel steer mowers have any problems with steering mechanisms that a normal 2 wheel steer wouldn't? Thirdly, will it get stuck when I turn to go up the hill? Any opinions about the 455 AWS or about the price, I would be very appriciative to hear them. Thanks

I have the non-4WS version of the 455, and I have a fairly steep sidehill mow at the front of my property. I added front and rear wheel weights for additional safety margin, and it works fine. No question that the initial turn uphill can be a challenge, particularly in wet grass, but you just back straight down and head back up again - with the foot-operated hydro, it's easy. The wheel weights help too, and you can engage the differential lock in you need it (the other poster seemed unaware that the 455 has the lock). The 60" deck itself has 307 pounds down low, so that also helps.

I don't know if the 4WS would improve the situation or make it worse. The only major downside to the 4WS that I'm aware of is that you can't mount a loader on it; from the manual there is a little more maintenance with the 4WS but it does not seem like a big deal.

That price seems decent, if not necessarily spectacular. If it's in really good shape, I think it's worth it. I have read that the Yanmars will go about 3000 hours minimum.

Tim

/ All Wheel Steer on the John Deere 425,445, and 455
When you say in your manuel that the AWS (4WS) has a little more maintance, what would that maintance be (if you wouldn't mind telling me I would much appriciate it). Thanks

/ All Wheel Steer on the John Deere 425,445, and 455 #5  
epic6500sr said:
When you say in your manuel that the AWS (4WS) has a little more maintance, what would that maintance be (if you wouldn't mind telling me I would much appriciate it). Thanks

Reviewed the manual, and it looks like some extra grease points, that's all. I had the impression it was more.

Tim

/ All Wheel Steer on the John Deere 425,445, and 455 #6  
I have the 425 AWS model. This is its 14th mowing season. I love that tractor! AWS is actually more stable on hills with improved traction due to the wider stance (wheels are mounted with spacers) and being a bit heavier. I think it would be very very hard to turn it over on a hill. With a 54" deck, mine is almost as wide as it is long. I've had it on some steep slopes and when it gets too steep, it simply slides downhill. Never once has a wheel come off the ground. I feel very safe on it.

AWS is amazingly agile for mowing around trees and shrubs and is outstanding at plowing snow, especially in tight driveways. Though, I do add suitcase weights and chains for snow removal. I've pushed snows as deep as 40" with it. It cuts so close around my gardens (and I have many) that I only have to trim with the weed eater about once a month or so. Handles a yard cart like a dream too.

I've had zero problems (~800 hours) with the machine. AWS adds a few extra zerks that have to be greased at the rear u-joints and one center pivot point, and it uses less tranny fluid. Other than that there is no additional maintenance required. Though, the locking diff. can be hard on the mechanisms if you use it while turning (which the manual says should never be done).

If the machine is in very good condition, $5500 is only a bit high. I would think closer to $4500 unless it includes other attachments/options. The rear PTO is an option, as is a cat0 3ph, and hydraulic patch panel too. The power angle/lift dozer blade is also very desirable. If it has some of these (and you need them), then the price is ok.

Drawback of AWS:
Can't add loader
low ground clearance (~4 inches with my turfs)
Can tear "weak" grasses if turning while sitting still

If it does have a 3ph and you don't want it, let me know I might be interested in buying it.