Any reasons NOT to buy a JD x500 series tractor?

/ Any reasons NOT to buy a JD x500 series tractor? #1  

97widerider

I will be cutting a little over two acres of smooth and semi-rough land. I have my mind set on a 54' cut x500 series tractor by JD. I know this might be a little over kill for only 2 acres but I want it to last a long long time. I will only use light duty attachments like a cart or a aeorater (sp?).

Do any of you JD enthusiast know any reason why I shouldn't buy this?

Thanks.

/ Any reasons NOT to buy a JD x500 series tractor? #2  
The big decision maker is if you will EVER need more capabilities. I have 1.5~ acres to mow and a 150' driveway to plow. I am using a 2005 X585 and love the unit. I do not need the ability to use a front end loader FEL and have a neighbor who has one if I did. Just be sure you don't need the capability of a CUT. If not, the unit is a good one.

/ Any reasons NOT to buy a JD x500 series tractor? #3  
If you want rear attachments you may also want to consider a CUT. Having a three point hitch and rear PTO gives you a lot of options.

/ Any reasons NOT to buy a JD x500 series tractor? #4  
I haven't priced one lately, but the 2210 used to be less money than some of the X500-series. The subcompact would give you more utility than just mowing.

The trouble is, the X500 is so nice that the 2210 will feel more "tractor-ish". For some people that's good.

Come to think of it, are you talking about one of the current model X500 tractors or one from a few years ago? The older X500 tractors were great, the newer ones I don't know much about. A co-worker just bought one of the new ones (X534?) a few weeks ago, but we have had more snow than green grass in PA this spring so I can't report his opinions, yet.

Last year, I did run a couple of Deere's pre-production X300 & X500 test mules with 900+ hours on them and they mowed really well. I was pleased with the cut, but other than that I wasn't looking over the tractors like a buyer would.

/ Any reasons NOT to buy a JD x500 series tractor? #5  
97widerider said:
I will be cutting a little over two acres of smooth and semi-rough land. I have my mind set on a 54' cut x500 series tractor by JD. I know this might be a little over kill for only 2 acres but I want it to last a long long time. I will only use light duty attachments like a cart or a aeorater (sp?).

Thanks.

Overkill, i have a 4310 with a 72" deck and I am on 2+ acres with 1.5 to Mow!:rolleyes:

/ Any reasons NOT to buy a JD x500 series tractor? #6  
It all depends. If you like cutting grass at a snails pace and getting bogged down in slightly high grass, then the x500 series is not for you.

Sorry, just being a smart alec. We have an x595 and it's probably obvious that we absolutely love it. We have the older style, which I think is very similar to the x748; I'm sure specs vary, but please correct me if I'm wrong. It's just a very well running, quiet, powerful machine...oh, and it's fast.

That being said, we also have a JD 4710. We have enough dirty work that the CUT is more useful in our case for handling harder work, whereas the x595 blows away the 4710 in keeping the lawn manicured.

Basically, it all depends in what you're going to do. EquipmentJunkie is dead on about the JD 2210. It's a nice balance between utility work and lawncare, and it's less expensive. I like the 2210 because it gives some nice options as a lawncare machine and utility work. The x500 is definitely a serious good ride and will get you very spoiled very quickly.

For myself, if I had 2 acres and wanted to cut, aerate, and tow a cart, and know that I wouldn't need any more heavier utility work done, I would go with the x500 series knowing full well that it is overkill, but looking at as a long-term investment in a piece of equipment that will take care of me well.

Good luck. Take care.

Last edited:
   / Any reasons NOT to buy a JD x500 series tractor? #7  
97widerider said:

Thanks.

Hmmm, there are bigger, faster and more capable tractors to buy?

/ Any reasons NOT to buy a JD x500 series tractor? #8  
Don't these not have a ROPS?

Long as you're not taking it on slopes or doing something stupid to turn it over or rear it backwards upside down, you'll be okay with no ROPS. They are a little sexier looking than the 2305/2320 tractors what with their very sloped hoods and all.

Ralph

/ Any reasons NOT to buy a JD x500 series tractor? #9  
I have had both an X485 (precursor to the 728) and an X595 (precursor to the 748). I have also had about every other compact JD makes, other than the 2210. Some of my fellow posters will accurately say I have even had two of some---and they would be correct. I will tell you my feelings and they are by no means the law, but are based on a lot of personal experience in different working situations. The X series tractors are the nicest garden tractor on the market--period. I have always thought of them as being subcompacts. Do not be fooled by their streamlined appearance and cupholders, for they are real working machines. They are nicer and more comfortable than the 2210 was and I think the 2305 currently is. By nicer, the frame, creature comforts, etc. They will pull just as much, if not more, due to their more advanced frame design. They have tons of power and mow great. My 595 would finish most mowing jobs just a few minutes slower than my dad's current 757 ZTR JD, and cut great. I loved my 595 and would still have it, save for one thing: the hydraulics. These machines, good as they are, have very simplistic hydraulics that are below the level of the tractor. The loader was pretty weak, yet still useful, and it was a nightmare to adjust the hydro relief valve for operating front and rear hydraulic attachments, which these machines cannot do at the same time. The three point and rear PTO can be easily added and despite some claims, these machines are hot resellers many places, and hold value well. So, to delineate further, get the X series for mowing and some light ground engaging work, but avoid them if hydraulic capacity and flexibility are in your needs. They are expensive but are so nice and longlasting, they to me are well worth the money. Some also say the diesel is not worth the extra money, but I found it the single best thing about the tractor (besides the four wheel drive).

John M

/ Any reasons NOT to buy a JD x500 series tractor? #10  
Most of the ground has been covered in the previous answers.

But, just to be clear, the X500 series tractor in the showrooms right now is absolutely not the machine that has been discussed in this thread. The many happy and satisfied responses you have read are from X585 and X595 owners from last year's model and back. Those tractors would compare to the current X7XX series. They gutted the X500 which is now like the previous X3XX -- good, but not the top of line as it was.

I thought it was a very confusing move.

Jcmseven has a point. Why doesn't JD put some serious hydraulics on their top of the line LGT and give the BX series some brutal competition? I looked at a BX and just couldn't get past the tinny feel of everything on it -- but I am envious of the hydraulics and the standard rear PTO.