Decided on 2305 Instead of X748

/ Decided on 2305 Instead of X748 #1  

Engine66

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2305 & 4720/400cx/BH448
Ok, I went to the dealer and drove both units and did the math. Everyone responding to my previous post gave good advice on both units. I am thinking about going with the 2305 as it came down to being able to do more chores with the 2305 vs the X748. (There's a bunch of you guys who told me so)

I was leaning hard towards the X748 because I already have a Kubota L3830 and wanted a go-anywhere riding mower with a good seat. Anyway, here's the package I narrowed it down to and the prices I can find locally.

200cx loader w/53" bucket
62" deck w/hydraulic mid-mount set-up
3 bag grass catcher w/blower
tires filled
2 chain hooks welded to bucket
block heater

Total $16,700

The original price for the X748SE w/7 iron and 14 bushel bagger was $14,850 or $14,250 with the 62" deck...so like a lot of you said for a few grand more, I get a loader, 3PH, rear-PTO, etc.

That's roughly 8% off MSRP...the best I can do locally. I am also getting another $1,500 off for a trade in on a Woods landscape rake and box blade that I do not use.

This brings the grand total out the door to $15,200. I know there are guys who stole their tractors, but the dealer has been exceptionally nice and has his bottom line to stay in business and keep his people paid. I can appreciate that and I'm not one to try to beg for more off. I can either accept or not.

There are a lot of chores I do with a wheel barrel or my Craftsman and trailer that I can easily do with the 2305. My wife also sees the value-added with the 2305 and shocked me with a nod of approval. Anyway, thanks for the advice from all of you out there. Next month I'll post some pics.

/ Decided on 2305 Instead of X748 #2  
Hi:

Looks like you have a good package setup. I wouldn't bother with the hydraulic lift for the 62" (I don't have one). Here is why:

1. You'll be using one of your loader circuits to run it (No 3rd scv on the 2305). If you mow with the loader off this won't matter. I mow with it on but the bucket off.

2. If your worried about losing your 3pt hitch with the mechanical lift you will lose it anyway with the powerflow bagger. (See #3). Also, 3pt hitch attachments work fine with the mechanical lift as long as you don't want to lift the mower and the implement independantly at the same time.

3. I have the 3 bag powerflow system and wouldn't buy it again. I'd get a DR power vac or cyclone rake (I actually have a cyclone rake). It bolts on, requires the removal of the right 3pt hitch arm. Without unbolting everything to take off the bag frame you cannot put anything on the 3pt hitch. It's kind of a pain in the a**.

You will be more than happy with everything else. The 62C deck cuts great and you can mow about as fast as you dare go. Also the loader is plenty powerful for the size of the tractor. I've scared myself many times. ;) I also have the 53" bucket but if you think you'll be moving light materials with the deck on you might want to go for the 61" bucket so the path it clears will clear the deck. This will only matter if you are going 'deep' into a pile of something with the deck on.

/ Decided on 2305 Instead of X748 #3  
Congrats! :) I think you made a sound decision. As for the independant hyd. lift, I agree with Orlo about skipping it. The only comment I would make, is get a ballast bos ($197 list and should be included with the FEL). Counterballance is necessary. Remember, keep the shiny side up!

/ Decided on 2305 Instead of X748
Ok, so the powerflow bagger system is a PITA to install/uninstall? That 2 piece unit is like $1,500...I guess I will have to do a little more research. Does it really hold 14 bushells? How about the 54" deck and bagger? Same set-up? I am not really sure exactly the advantages to the center hydraulic lift vs 3PH...I guess the 3PH will be unusable anyways since the bagger will be on during mowing.

The ballast box is included in the package. If you have more advice, toss it on...I'd like to learn before the purchase so I make the right call. Thanks again.

/ Decided on 2305 Instead of X748 #5  
I'm not 100% sure about the 54" deck but I think it takes the same Powerflow bagger system that the 62 takes. It does work pretty well even though it is a PITA to put on/take off. Not sure about 14 bushels, seems like that could be accurate. I fill mine frequently. When I used it on a 5-6 acre lawn it was almost unusable as I was filling it once or twice per outside lap initially, tapering off to every 2-3 laps as I got toward the center. On 1.5-2 acres I empty it a few times but it's not too bad. My problem is that the cyclone rake holds something like 300 (or is it 400) gallons so I don't have to empty that often.

I'd say if you are mowing 1-2 acres and don't mind emptying it a few times you're probably ok. Also if you can mount it and leave it on for a while. It does empty very, very easy, the 3 bags come off and you can empty it in a flash.

Oh, one other note I almost forgot. Not that this should make or break your decision but the powerflow blower is powered off the deck and seems to take quite a bit of HP as your fuel consumption will go way, way up compared to using the 2305 with the blower off. Not ridiculous, but substantial. Vacuums/blowers in general suck up fuel (My cyclone rake uses a lot of gas) since they are running full bore all the time and not just under load. (They are moving just as much air whether or not there is grass in the air or not).

/ Decided on 2305 Instead of X748 #6  
Engine66 said:
Ok, I went to the dealer and drove both units and did the math. Everyone responding to my previous post gave good advice on both units. I am thinking about going with the 2305 as it came down to being able to do more chores with the 2305 vs the X748. (There's a bunch of you guys who told me so).

Good choice! :)

Scott

PS - I looked at the powerflow and I bought one for my 2305 with the 62C MMM. I decided to skip the bagger setup and I'm building a enclosed top for a JD 16C trailer.

/ Decided on 2305 Instead of X748 #7  
While both are good units I would also opt for the 2305. Seems like more tractor for not a bunch more money. (It is always easier to spend some elses money!) :)

/ Decided on 2305 Instead of X748
A few more questions...

Is the 62mmm easy to remove/install?

What is the ground clearance with the MMM installed on the 2305? (It was about 5.5 inches on the X748)

Have some of the "bugs" I read about the MMM making noises, rubbing, etc. on uneven terrain been worked out?

Does the MMM sag down or stay upright when not in use?

Should I mulch instead of bag?

I have a 10' trailer with rear ramp...can the 2305 drive up the ramp with MMM installed without hitting at the crest? If so, what's the best option? Rig the ramp with 2x8's to lessen the angle...or what?

How long does it take to remove install the bagger/blower system?

Thanks...seems the more I learn, the more questions I have. I don't want to end up asking myself what the heck did I get myself into here just to catch some grass and do a few chores, ya know?

/ Decided on 2305 Instead of X748 #9  
Hi:

The 62C deck goes on and off easier than any deck you've probably used. Turn the gauge wheels 90 degrees, pop out two pins, roll over and remove the front mount, disconnect the drive shaft and roll it away. Very, Very easy.

I think you probably have at least 5.5" of clearance but I've never measured it.
If you aren't using the deck you can lock it in the up position and then you can use the 3pt hitch, etc.

The power flow bagger - Hee Hee ;O) Probably 1 minute to take the bags and frame off, then 10-15 minutes (10 just to find a wrench big enough) to take off the two big bolts holding it on. then another couple minutes to put the right 3pt arm back on. As long as you don't have any odd items you won't need to undo a bolt that goes through the mower lift arm and the 3pt arm (You need to drill this hole when you or the dealer installs it). If you need to move the arm way out or in you'll need to take this small bolt out.
A real PITA to remove. I'm going to use my cyclone rake this year unless/until I'm convinced I won't use any more 3pt items for a while.

Actually, some weekend when I get off my lazy butt I'm going to weld pins (27" wide) onto the mount bracket for the power flow bagger. I will need to extend the tube and make it adjustable as it will slide in and out when the 3pt hitch goes up and down but it will be worth it.

Having a powerflow system I would not recommend it for other folks unless you don't plan on taking it off. spend the $1600 on a cyclone rake or DR vac instead.

/ Decided on 2305 Instead of X748 #10  
Engine66 said:
Ok, so the powerflow bagger system is a PITA to install/uninstall? That 2 piece unit is like $1,500...I guess I will have to do a little more research. Does it really hold 14 bushells? How about the 54" deck and bagger? Same set-up? I am not really sure exactly the advantages to the center hydraulic lift vs 3PH...I guess the 3PH will be unusable anyways since the bagger will be on during mowing.

The ballast box is included in the package. If you have more advice, toss it on...I'd like to learn before the purchase so I make the right call. Thanks again.

It could be more than $1,500 and if I can just say it out loud - I dont suggest them. Its another engine to maintain and fuel, a PIA to put on and remove, and you are always stopping and going.

Get the high lift blades (for lawn cutting) and mulching set up for the fall leaves. Saves money and not a PITA