Mowing 3pt finish mower or gang reel

/ 3pt finish mower or gang reel #1  

gunmaker

Gold Member
Tractor
jd 1025r / x750
I'm considering doing some mowing with the 2520, and while the finish mower seems to be the easy choice, I like the finish a set of gang reel mowers gives too. I'd love to hear other thoughts and experiences, and if considering used is wise for this type of implement.

/ 3pt finish mower or gang reel #2  
The model helicopter club I belong to has a 5 gang reel mower, about 12' wide that is used to cut about 5 acres. It's pulled by either a JD4400 or a 1950ish John Deere "B".

The reel mower does a great job of cutting if you can mow very frequently, it does not do well on long grass or weeds. They also can be very cumbersome because you cannot back them up, so you have to be very careful about not getting into a position where you cannot move forward.
We also have a 6' RFM (rear finish mower) that we use if the grass gets to high and to trim around the edges of the feild with, it does a great job but you have to be very carful when turning as it swings quite a bit and is easily banged into obstacles.

Maybe if you told us or show us the kind of terrain you will be mowing we can make more informed suggestions?

/ 3pt finish mower or gang reel #3  
kennyd said:
The model helicopter club I belong to has a 5 gang reel mower,

Kenny , whats this Model helicopter mess about....:)
we are suppose to be playing with tractors. you dont have time for helicopters. you need to be designing new toys for your 4100...;)
I bet if you hooked a rubber band to your PTO and hooked to your
helicopter. it would really get her spinning.....:D

No, i am just funning with you... :) I raced gas powered 1/10 scale off road trucks , for 8 years. before that we raced little gas powered boats. heck i will race anything with a engine on it. I can crank a stump with some gas and a grass rope....:D

Chris...:)

/ 3pt finish mower or gang reel #4  
Chris2520 said:
Kenny , whats this Model helicopter mess about....:)

Well, I haven't done much with it lately, I kind of gave it up about 4 years ago to build a house...but I was pretty heavily involved at on point:D

http://www.flymha.com

/ 3pt finish mower or gang reel #5  
if i remember right. them remote control helicopters are
big bucks. some are in the thousands....:eek:

/ 3pt finish mower or gang reel #6  
Chris2520 said:
if i remember right. them remote control helicopters are
big bucks. some are in the thousands....:eek:

Yes, That is correct, but what "hobby" is cheap? If it's fun it's gonna cost money:D

What seperates the men from the boy's? Why it's the cost of the toys!

/ 3pt finish mower or gang reel
Well you've answered that...trying to mow around the trees I have with a gang would be like following the pinball as it moves around the machine. RFM looks like the comon sense approach.

/ 3pt finish mower or gang reel #8  
What's this about model helicopters Ken? Say, if I was to do it over, I'd look around for a mid mount mower instead of the 3 PTH mower. For one thing, you only run over the grass with two tires before it gets cut! The rear mower runs over it with six tires befire it sees a blade! My rear mower is a first choice, which works well for it's very limited use, but very sadly the power coat finish is coming off in several spots for no apparent reason.

The 7 gang mower is a blast to use, but if you have lots of weeks, or let it get real high before cutting it, forget it. Lots of fun though pulling it with the '48 B!

Wayne
www.flymha.com

/ 3pt finish mower or gang reel #9  
That's a heck of a lot of blades to keep sharpened on a gang of reel mowers. Also, difficult to manuver, impossible to back up. I've seen them used on a school campus (field)...that's about it. They do look neat though.
Also, if you're considering doing commercial mowing, getting a gang mower on and off a trailer would be more time consuming then a RFM.
If you're looking to finish your own lawn faster, you could probably squeak by with a 72" unit but you'll definitely want front weights.

/ 3pt finish mower or gang reel #10  
I've never used a gang of reel mowers, so I can't comment on them. I do like my 6' RFM, though. It was money well spent.