Diesel Fuel Additive

/ Diesel Fuel Additive #1  

ClemBert

Tractor
Kubota M7060
Anyone using diesel fuel additive. If so, what kind of additive are you using? I've been using "Diesel Kleen".

Diesel Kleen

Also, has anyone gone to the fuel station and seen labels on the Diesel pump that states something on the order of "This fuel should not be used in 2007 and later diesel engines". What's that all about?

/ Diesel Fuel Additive #2  
I am using Power Service additive for the tractor. Heard good things about it here on TBN. Noticed quicker starts, haven't tracked the fuel consumption though.

/ Diesel Fuel Additive #3  
Yes, I use fuel additives. I use what I sell. Dzl-Pep in the warm season and Dzl-Pep Arctic in the winter.

As far as the label you have seen. Pumps marked this way are dispensing fuel with sulfur levels over 15 PPM (parts per million). It would be clasified LSD(low sulfur diesel). It may be a fuel station that is still in the process of purging LSD from their pumps and can't mark them ULSD (ultra low sulfur diesel) yet or it's one of the few that is still selling LSD.

One thing to remember is that just because a pump is marked LSD does not mean it has 500 PPM of sulfur. It can be anywhere from 16 PPM up to and not over 500 PPM.

/ Diesel Fuel Additive #4  
I use the Power service also.

I have a 150 gal tank that I store off road fuel in, and give that tank a double dose of regular power service when I have it filled since the fuel will also be used in the winter.

I am a believer in fuel additives - break down the price per tank and it is only pennies.

Take care of that machine.

And, what a gorgeous photo ClemBert - both the tractor and the collie!

/ Diesel Fuel Additive #6  
I use Power Service every once in a while in the tractor. Have run my Benz diesel for 202,000 miles and rarely have used additive. Have put Chevron Red Line in it twice in its life to cure a constant speed pinging. A while back, I put some Power Service in it. Think that was the ONLY time; so, guess that makes 3 doses of additive in 202,000 miles. Still starts INSTANTLY after the 2-6 seconds of glow plug time.

Tractor also starts instantly if it's glowed for 1-2 seconds in warm weather and 4 seconds in cold.

I'm talking instant, as in about a 1/2 turn of the crankshaft.

Ralph

/ Diesel Fuel Additive #7  
I run the power service (white bottle) in all my diesels at the normal ratio of 96oz to 300 gal diesel, but not 100% of the time (close though). The 770 is noticeably quieter, as is my wifes MB. Most dramatic is when I run the PS with 6oz of 2-stroke oil in the GMC 6.5TD - it goes from a tin bucket full of marbles to smooth as silk (well, smooth as a low-tech IDI can get):)

All of these machines start effortlessly without drama with or without the additive - I just want a little more confidence that the pumps are getting adequately lubed, the injectors clean and the tank free of algae and water.

YMMV

/ Diesel Fuel Additive #8  
I use Power Service in my 3520 and Grasshopper D928 (ztr).
I use Stanadyne in my two diesel powered cars...no particular reason
other than the 8oz bottles are easy to haul about - ever spill Power
Service Diesel Kleen in your car. I had a very minute amount leak
out -- about two weeks to get rid of the odor. Plus the Stanadyne
bottles have a long neck - fits into the opening nicely.

I, too, wash and wax my 3520 and Grasshopper: Griot's (or P21S) Carnuba
and Griot's Speed Shine in-between waxings.

Lon

/ Diesel Fuel Additive #9  
I know Stanadyne sells an additive to increase lubricity. How about the other additives...do they help with the lowered lubricity of low sulpher fuel?

/ Diesel Fuel Additive #10  
Roy, most additives are similar, some better than others but yes - they have chemicals/components that address diesel lubricity, or lack thereof. They do NOT address dramatic drop in aromatics (from older high-sulphur to low to ultra-low) which may have an adverse effect on pump seals and rubber lines, etc.:( IMO best bet is the stanadyne, power service or diesel catalyst from redline.