Engine Governor???

/ Engine Governor??? #1  

sunnyside360

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 3720, JD 4320, JD 835R, Kubota M4D-071, Kubota ZD1511
Just curious, do any of the CUT's (Deere, Kubota, etc) have a governor to regulate engine speed? I have an older Massey Ferguson 1045 and it appears to have an excellent governor. However, my new JD 3720 either does not have a governor or it's not working. I also had a Kubota L4200 and I'm pretty sure it did not have a governor.

/ Engine Governor??? #2  
Why do you think it's not working?

They do have the equivalent (Although I'm not sure if it's not electronic on the 3x20 series). When you set the throttle and increase load it should maintain that RPM unless you overload it so much that it can't account for it.

Loadmatch is different. It still tries to maintain engine RPM but does so by reducing forward speed, not by increasing the fuel like a governer does.

/ Engine Governor???
orlo said:
Why do you think it's not working?

They do have the equivalent (Although I'm not sure if it's not electronic on the 3x20 series). When you set the throttle and increase load it should maintain that RPM unless you overload it so much that it can't account for it.

Loadmatch is different. It still tries to maintain engine RPM but does so by reducing forward speed, not by increasing the fuel like a governer does.
I haven't used the Loadmatch feature on the 3720. I'm comparing two types of engine loading: 1) 5 ft rotary cutter in high/heavy grass, and: 2) traveling on road with steep inclines. The 35 hp Massey Ferguson governor definitely does a good job at maintaining (or attempting to maintain) constant engine RPM's in both cases. I don't see/hear any signs of governor operation on either the JD 3720 or Kubota L4200 in same situations. This why I was asking if JD 3x20 and Kubota L series tractors have a governor. I know from experience the larger farm tractors do have a governor. This is an area where tractor manufacturers could cut costs on the smaller CUT's.

/ Engine Governor??? #4  
They do have governers. You'll notice it cutting grass and on other tasks. It's possible it's not as sensitive as other ones you've used. (My 2305 at PTO speed will use ton's more fuel if I'm mowing with the blower which takes a lot of power).

You can really notice it since at the same throttle setting fuel consumption will vary greatly depending on what you are doing. With the hydros you can definitely slow down the engine if you really are heavy footed, that's where loadmatch helps.