Oops left parking brake on 4115

/ Oops left parking brake on 4115 #1  

Newtogreen

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4115
Hello to all this is my first post, anyway I just purchased a new to me JD 4115 with 32 hrs. on the clock. I was letting my wife learn to mow using the BH 72 finish mower. For the first hundred yards at the most she didn't realize that the parking brake was still engaged. My question is would this result in any damage to the trans. This tractor has a HST. Any information on the way the wet disk brakes work and the HST would be helpful. I'am surprised that the tractor still moved pulling the finish mower with the brakes on. By the way it wasn't the wifes fault with the sun shining on the dash its hard to see the blinking parking brake light. Thanks for any help. I'am sure to have a lot more questions in the future.

/ Oops left parking brake on 4115 #2  
You're fine.

I bushogged 2 acres once before I realized mine was on.

/ Oops left parking brake on 4115 #3  
I've done that many times with my 1070 gear drive. Wondered why it felt sluggish then noticed the parking light was on. Didn't smell anything bad, brakes still wirk fine, I don't worry about it. I'll do it again and again. Happenes if I hit the brake lightly and pull up on the latch to park. When it is time to go i push the park latch down but the pawl doesen't disengage cause I didn't hit the brake pedal hard enough.

/ Oops left parking brake on 4115 #4  
I've done it a few times also. The light on my dash isn't easy to see in the daylight. I've considered adding some type of buzzer with dry contacts to remind me. I don't think a 100yds did any damage.

/ Oops left parking brake on 4115 #5  
Great!!!
You've just passed your initiation to TBN...we should send you a hat!

/ Oops left parking brake on 4115 #6  
Newtogreen said:
Hello to all this is my first post, anyway I just purchased a new to me JD 4115 with 32 hrs. on the clock. I was letting my wife learn to mow using the BH 72 finish mower. For the first hundred yards at the most she didn't realize that the parking brake was still engaged. My question is would this result in any damage to the trans. This tractor has a HST. Any information on the way the wet disk brakes work and the HST would be helpful. I'am surprised that the tractor still moved pulling the finish mower with the brakes on. By the way it wasn't the wifes fault with the sun shining on the dash its hard to see the blinking parking brake light. Thanks for any help. I'am sure to have a lot more questions in the future.

I had a 4115 also and more than once I did the same thing, never noticed any ill effects...:)

/ Oops left parking brake on 4115 #7  
Yes, welcome to tractor operation. Everyone has done this a couple times. In my experience the tractor moves like there's no brake on, it's just when you push in the clutch and lurch to an immediate stop that I notice.

Wet brakes are kinda like a wet clutch - they are lubricated and while they do wear, wear is extremely slow. Don't intentionally drive with brakes on, but don't worry about doing it a few times by accident.

/ Oops left parking brake on 4115
I would like to have more information on how the wet disc brakes and HST work together. Thanks Larry

/ Oops left parking brake on 4115 #9  
Newtogreen said:
I would like to have more information on how the wet disc brakes and HST work together. Thanks Larry

I don't know about others, but I don't understand what you're asking, Larry. Brakes are for stopping, whether on a tractor or on a car, and transmissions, including HST, are for gear selection and to "transmit" engine power to the drive wheels. So I don't understand what you mean by them working together. How do your car brakes and your car transmission work together?

/ Oops left parking brake on 4115 #10  
I've done this a couple of times on my 4010. It'll clue you in a couple of ways: more power needed than normal, maybe some squealing of the brake pads.

Unless you do it a lot, don't think it'll harm anything other than to require more fuel. MIGHT cause overheating in the HST if you went fast and for a long distance with the brake on.

Ralph