790 Deal Fell Through - now new 2520

/ 790 Deal Fell Through - now new 2520 #1  

prosperity

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 2520
Instead of bringing up my old thread on my 790 purchase saga...
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/jd-owning-operating/99876-790-opinions.html

Long story short - was about to purchase a used 790 w/12 hours and trade my 2210 - in the interim, another salesmen sold the 790 - arrgh.

My salesman did my good however - and with the opinions from the above thread, I do really need that hydro for loader work.

They gave me a price on a new 790, which was about twice as much as the used one with my trade.

Looked at a 3320 - just too big and too heavy - then looked at the 2520. They made me a deal on the 2520 with my 2210 trade the same price as a new 790....!!!!

Got her home on Thursday, and finally had time this morning to get it out of the barn and "play" a little bit.

Thanks for all the advice from the other thread - I am very happy with how it all came out.

original.jpg

/ 790 Deal Fell Through - now new 2520 #2  
Good for you! I thought you'd end up with a 4310 though.

The pricing sounds odd. Even with a loader and MFWD, a new 790 only goes for about $15500 to $16000. But if you're happy with the deal, no other opinions matter.

Enjoy your new tractor!

Last edited:
   / 790 Deal Fell Through - now new 2520 #3  
That's a real nice machine!
Best of luck.

/ 790 Deal Fell Through - now new 2520 #4  
Good Deal. you really going to be happy with it..;)
I see your rear tires are turned to narrow side. take the rear wheels off and flip them around from one side to the other. and thay will be some what wider. and it will be much more stable on hills....;)
Congrats on new tractor.

Chris.....:)

/ 790 Deal Fell Through - now new 2520
Chris2520 said:
Good Deal. you really going to be happy with it..;)
I see your rear tires are turned to narrow side. take the rear wheels off and flip them around from one side to the other. and thay will be some what wider. and it will be much more stable on hills....;)
Congrats on new tractor.

Is that maybe why I can't even attach my rake with the pins turned out?
It came with the pins turned in, whch in my world is the wrong way. So, I turned them out, but couldn't even get the 3 point arms wide enough to go on the pins - arms hitting the tires. Would I gain enough room for the 3 point arms with the wheels turned out?
Little leary of changing the wheels around being they are loaded - guess I'll have to be real carefull to keep them upright when moving them.

/ 790 Deal Fell Through - now new 2520 #6  
Yes turning them around would help alot. i wont say for sure it will solve your
problem. it you had an IMatch the tires would not rub if thay were set to wide side.....:)

/ 790 Deal Fell Through - now new 2520 #7  
prosperity:

I have had attachments with the lower link pins turned in and out. I have not had any problems with either arrangement. I do add washers/bushings to the lower pins to take out "play". It is sometimes easier to have the pins turned in for attachment purposes. Jay

PS: Nice looking rig :D!

/ 790 Deal Fell Through - now new 2520 #8  
prosperity,
I have a 2520 and Woods rake which I believe is very similar to your frontier. Swapping the tires to the wide position won't fix that problem. You gain less than an inch per side swapping the R4's on the 2520 (swapping the rear turfs on my old 755 gave me 3" per side). You'll need to get to get used to having the rake pins turned in. Actually I find it works fine with the way the sway adjusters work on the 2520. Loosen them to hook up then tighten to snug things up. However, if somebody makes wheel spacers for the 2520 I'd buy a pair. I have less than 1/4" clearance between inside of the rear tires and my 46BH footrests. If I'm not REAL carefull attaching the BH I end up slicing into the tire treads.

Overall though the 2520 is a great tractor. I looked at several other brands and am very happy with my choice. You will be too.

/ 790 Deal Fell Through - now new 2520 #9  
Hemiguy , i had the same problem with the backhoe being to close to the tires. I trimed a 1/2 inch off the foot plates. and solved the problem.
and it dont look like its ever been messed with....;)

/ 790 Deal Fell Through - now new 2520
Thanks for the replies all.
Gaining less than 1" width by changing the wheels around isn't worth it in my book - I can live with the implement pins on the inside with no problems.

Here is a good expample of the great folks on this site - helping each other out.