Oil & Fuel Problems with diesel fuel in crankcase oil - 4320

/ Problems with diesel fuel in crankcase oil - 4320 #1  

bth

Has anyone else had trouble with getting diesel fuel in their crankcase oil? I have a 4320 with about 350 hours. About 6 months ago I had this problem (noticed the oil was overfull) - dealer replaced "lift pump" and problem went away. Now it is doing it again (it was fine for the ~50 hours after they fixed it). Of course, it is now out of warranty...

/ Problems with diesel fuel in crankcase oil - 4320 #2  
There are three areas where this usually happens. The lift pump, the injection pump or a bad injector that is pissing fuel. If it's a injector you would most likely notice white smoke at the exhaust and poor performance. The first place to check (again) would be the lift pump. If it's ok then the injection pump would be the next thing I would check.

/ Problems with diesel fuel in crankcase oil - 4320
Probably the lift pump - it runs fine.

Maybe this is a weakness on these machines - 2 pumps in < 50 hours...come on...

/ Problems with diesel fuel in crankcase oil - 4320 #4  
Have you talked again to your dealer? I am sure they can help you even if your unit is out of warranty.

/ Problems with diesel fuel in crankcase oil - 4320 #5  
Wasn't there a recent (with in the last year) recall on the 4xxx series tractors for fuel system problems?
My former boss had a 4720...I remember informing him about it...read about it here on TBN.

/ Problems with diesel fuel in crankcase oil - 4320 #6  
RoyJackson said:
Wasn't there a recent (with in the last year) recall on the 4xxx series tractors for fuel system problems?
My former boss had a 4720...I remember informing him about it...read about it here on TBN.

Lots of issues with the Stanadyne fuel system.

/ Problems with diesel fuel in crankcase oil - 4320 #7  
bth said:
Has anyone else had trouble with getting diesel fuel in their crankcase oil? I have a 4320 with about 350 hours. About 6 months ago I had this problem (noticed the oil was overfull) - dealer replaced "lift pump" and problem went away. Now it is doing it again (it was fine for the ~50 hours after they fixed it). Of course, it is now out of warranty...

What are the signs of fuel getting into the crankcase? The reason I ask is, I just changed the oil and used the tractor for about 3 hours and noticed that the oil was black already. I thought that was pretty quick, but I'm new to the tractor scene.

Thanks.....

/ Problems with diesel fuel in crankcase oil - 4320 #8  
Simpleman922 said:
What are the signs of fuel getting into the crankcase? The reason I ask is, I just changed the oil and used the tractor for about 3 hours and noticed that the oil was black already. I thought that was pretty quick, but I'm new to the tractor scene.

Thanks.....

This is your first diesel right? Black oil is perfectly normal in a diesel engine.

Signs of fuel leakage into the crankcase is the oil level rising on the dipstick, along with the smell of diesel fuel in the oil and obvious thinning of the oil.

/ Problems with diesel fuel in crankcase oil - 4320 #9  
kennyd said:
This is your first diesel right? Black oil is perfectly normal in a diesel engine.

Signs of fuel leakage into the crankcase is the oil level rising on the dipstick, along with the smell of diesel fuel in the oil and obvious thinning of the oil.
Thanks for your reply Kenny. What got me concerned was it turning black after only three hours. Is that normal? And yes this is my first diesel.

/ Problems with diesel fuel in crankcase oil - 4320 #10  
Yes it's normal. It probably turned black after the first thirty minutes:D