Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2520

Default Re: Ballast Box

Quote Originally Posted by bjcsc
    I built my own ballast box. I can adjust the distance from the rear axle from my seat depending on the weight I need back there.
    Nicely done! It looks like you adjust the distance using what seems to be a VERY long hydraulic toplink? Nice way to maximize the ballast while keeping the weight down.
    Thanks,

Jeff

JD 2520, 62D OnRamp MMM with MCS, 200CX Loader with 53" bucket and forks, RT1250 tiller, DR PTO Chipper/Shredder, iMatch/Pat's EZ Change, 46 BH, Top-N-Tilt

Tractor
    JD 5225, JD 555B

Quote Originally Posted by jdbower
    Nicely done! It looks like you adjust the distance using what seems to be a VERY long hydraulic toplink? Nice way to maximize the ballast while keeping the weight down.
    Thanks. You got it, using the cylinder I can position the weight a minimum of 2' and a max of 5' behind the rear axle. It's like having a series of different weight boxes...

Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

I didn't want to fill mine with concrete at first but now I will, since I filled it with 3/4 crushed stone and did the pvc pipe thing, I haven't needed to empty the box and moving is not a problem, so the extra weight will help and it will keep the pipes from shifting around, I will use one 4", one 3", two 2'' and two 1-1/2", the 1-1/2" works fine for most yard tools, the 3" works for hand held blowers and I think the 4" will fit a small chain saw. of course I got the idea for the pvc pipe on this site, great idea, some times working around the yard I have all the pipes filled with tools.
    A couple of pictures here, the one with the trunk section of white pine needed more ballast to be safe, that's a 6 foot bucket.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

I built my own ballast box. I can adjust the distance from the rear axle from my seat depending on the weight I need back there. Works great, and is not too big (1.5 cubic ft)...

BJCSC, great idea, but that's not much weight for the heavy work that large of a tractor is capable of doing, is it?
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.

Tractor
    JD 5225, JD 555B

Quote Originally Posted by JB4310
    BJCSC, great idea, but that's not much weight for the heavy work that large of a tractor is capable of doing, is it?
    That's the first thing anybody says when they first see it. I should have mentioned in my original post that I filled the box with molten lead (which I collected from many tire stores as wheel weights). The lead in the box itself weighs 1050lbs and the box and frame add about 100 more. The size of it fools everybody. I can't tell you how many times, when it's not on the tractor, I have pulled the "hey, help me move this over a bit" on people...good fun...ag humor...

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 2520

"hey, help me move this over a bit" on people...good fun...ag humor...
    That sounds like fun! For what it's worth, lead is almost five times the density of Portland cement. That's an awful lot of wheel weights
    Thanks,

Jeff

JD 2520, 62D OnRamp MMM with MCS, 200CX Loader with 53" bucket and forks, RT1250 tiller, DR PTO Chipper/Shredder, iMatch/Pat's EZ Change, 46 BH, Top-N-Tilt

Tractor
    JD 5203, JD 3720, JD 4110, JD 445, IH 1586, IH 886, IH 404......

Quote Originally Posted by Chris2520
    I think i got 7 or 7 1/2 of 94 pound portlands in there.
    I read somewhere if you add to much water while mixing.
    it will really cut down on the amount you can get in there.
    and personaly. i thought mine was to wet. i mixed it in a wheel
    barrow. and then put it in the box. but afterwords. i kept adding more dry
    portland strate to the box as i felt it was to wet. ..

Chris...
    We put it in very dry.... I was working with a friend that does cement, and he could not see how we could get more in..... It is full right to the top and we pushed it under the lip.... If we would have put it in any drier, we might not have added any water.... We even vibrated it to get any air out.......

I will say, its freaking heavy, and got very hot for over 14 hours... up to 200 degrees... We were having contests who could hold thier hands on it longest, and the max anyone did it was 4 seconds....

Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

That's the first thing anybody says when they first see it. I should have mentioned in my original post that I filled the box with molten lead (which I collected from many tire stores as wheel weights). The lead in the box itself weighs 1050lbs and the box and frame add about 100 more. The size of it fools everybody. I can't tell you how many times, when it's not on the tractor, I have pulled the "hey, help me move this over a bit" on people...good fun...ag humor...
    Lead, that explains it, 1.5 cu ft, that's alot of sinkers!

I built my own ballast box. I can adjust the distance from the rear axle from my seat depending on the weight I need back there. Works great, and is not too big (1.5 cubic ft)...

How much does it weigh? it looks really small.
    Maybe its because your tractor is so big.....

Chris......
    John Deere 2520 , R4's , 200CX loader with 61 inch bucket and JD Tooth Bar. And Markham 7 tooth. Tooth bar. 46 Backhoe with 16 inch bucket. with Custom made Street Flip pads off a 448 hoe. Foward work lights. Dual rear work lights. Heavy duty Alternator. I-Match , Ballast Box , Frontier BB2060 box blade , Frontier pallet Forks , JD 3 point reciever hitch. and soon A lot more.. and for grass cutting , John Deere GX 255 with 48 inch deck.

Tractor
    1999 John Deere 4300 12/12 sync-reverse

Hi Bob: I have considered making or buying a ballast box and filling it with steel nuts and bolts. The local scrap yard sells any steel they have for 18 cents a pound. At first I thought I would use small pieces of scrap to fill the box but then I realized that they sell nuts and bolts for the same price. If I ever need an odd nut or bolt I could dig for it in the ballast box. (Keep the box dry or oil the nuts and bolts to prevent rust.) I passed up several barrels of nuts and bolt before I had this idea. I am keeping my eye out for more.

Steel weighs about 480 pounds a cubic foot cement weighs about 94 pounds a cubic foot. Factory suitcase or wheel weights cost about $1.00 a pound. Scrap is only 18 cents a pound here.

Keep your 500 lb ballast bar and mount it on your box blade (If you have one. If not get one they are great.)

I believe that you should follow JD's recommendations for the ballast weight but you should put the weight in a ballast box so you can set it down.
    Good Luck, Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by NYBOB
    I guess my question is, what should I put in the ballast box to get as much weight as I can?

Lastly, do I really need to put the 3 weights per side as it recommends?

In the meantime I have a ballast bar from my old tractor that has 500lbs of weights on it.

Thanks

Bob

John Deere 4300, 420 loader, model 47 Backhoe and many other attachments.
    Ford F350 Super Duty 4X4 Crewcab
    Polaris Ranger XP 700
    Millermatic 251 MIG welder
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma cutter
    Upgrading John Deere Loader Cylinders
    John Deere 420 loader quick hitch rebuild
    Semi-Metallic Emergency Brake Pads for the Polaris Ranger
    Straightened, reinforced and added toothbar to FEL bucket

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast