Ballast Ballast Box

/ Ballast Box #1  

NYBOB

Silver Member
Tractor
2007 JD 3720
I am taking delivery soon of a 3720. My dealer is out of JD ballast boxes and had to order it. In the meantime I have a ballast bar from my old tractor that has 500lbs of weights on it.

I see on my 300CX manual it calls for loading the tires which I did. 3 wheel weights per side and 1100 lbs of rear ballast.

I guess my question is, what should I put in the ballast box to get as much weight as I can? Will it be close to 1100 lbs? Also, I see there is an extension for the ballast box. How much more weight can I get into that?
Lastly, do I really need to put the 3 weights per side as it recommends?

Thanks

Bob

/ Ballast Box #2  
I have a 4110. I usually have a 46 backhoe, but when it's not on, I have only a ballast box loaded with rocks, no wheel weights or loaded tires. It's been sufficient for traction and stability. If you have loaded tires and a ballast box loaded with rocks or sand (something you can take out), you should be fine.

/ Ballast Box #3  
If you want it heavy, fill it with PORTLAND CEMENT. You loader manual should list the estimated weights for sand, regular cement, and Portland cement-it's in my manual...

I have posted these #'s before also...

EDIT:
You can refer to THIS POST, I listed the figures my manual listed...

/ Ballast Box #4  
If I were to buy a ballast box, I'd be hesitant to fill it with concrete or cement. I already have a pile of hard to get rid of concrete. Sand or dirt should work, maybe gravel.

/ Ballast Box #5  
kude said:
If I were to buy a ballast box, I'd be hesitant to fill it with concrete or cement. I already have a pile of hard to get rid of concrete. Sand or dirt should work, maybe gravel.

You will not get the BB to weigh in excess of 1000lbs with sand, gravel or dirt.

The OP asked:
I guess my question is, what should I put in the ballast box to get as much weight as I can?

/ Ballast Box #6  
Okay there Kennyd,

The OP could throw 10 100lbs bags unopened of cement in there just to be precise, dig his project, and then use the cement and not have a 1000 pound block of concrete laying around. I was just trying to point out alternatives.

/ Ballast Box #7  
Why not just fill the Ballast Box with portland and make it as heavy as possable. that is what its made for. I mean there is no reson you would ever want it to be lighter.

Chris.....:)

/ Ballast Box #8  
The OP could also take the 500lbs of iron he already has and add 600lbs more weight to get his 1100lbs. I know I know, you guys love the cement.
I don't know if the iron would fit in the ballast box, but again it's only another alternative.

/ Ballast Box #9  
If one fills it with cement, how can one use it to store garden tools when it is not in use???

John M

/ Ballast Box #10  
My JD ballast box is filled with 7 bags of Home Despot's finest sand. Total weight is in the vicinity of 600# as I recall. Sand has another benefit if you are working in the snow and get stuck...you have plenty of sand to throw under the tires.

I did that a couple of times this past winter and put my folding surplus army shovel to use after many years of it doing nothing useful.