JD 2520: Can rear PTO operate without operator on seat?

/ JD 2520: Can rear PTO operate without operator on seat? #1  

jimgerken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 3720
My "old" JD 4100 had a special switch you could pull up when the seat was flipped up, to allow the rear 540 pto to run without an operator. This is nice when running a generator or wood chipper. Can the 2520 do this with some hidden feature or procedure? Otherwise I have to short across the safety sensor under the seat with a jumper wire. I can add a switch to disable the sensor, but thought I'd ask you smart guys first... Thanks.

/ JD 2520: Can rear PTO operate without operator on seat? #2  
Hi:

Yes, the 2320 and 2520 allow 'off seat' rear PTO operation. I can't tell you the procedure (I have a 2305 and a 3720) but I know they do (The 2305 does not).

Even if a tractor doesn't, it's an easy thing to jump, you just either jump the seat switch (unplug the harness at the bottom of the seat) and jump the connector. If you really wanted to be 'safe' you could rig up a remote 'jump' switch (maybe an 8' cord) on a magnetic base that you could use as an 'emergency stop' switch right on the implement. (Like a chipper).

/ JD 2520: Can rear PTO operate without operator on seat? #3  
The rear PTO will function if you leave the seat on the 2520 if the tractor is in neutral and the parking brake is set. Very useful for wood chippers ;)

/ JD 2520: Can rear PTO operate without operator on seat? #4  
And the PTO selector needs to be on rear-only.

GordNovo

/ JD 2520: Can rear PTO operate without operator on seat?
Ahhh, parking brake. I didnt think to try that. THANKS!!!!

/ JD 2520: Can rear PTO operate without operator on seat? #6  
And make sure you're off the seat first, then engage pto from the ground.

/ JD 2520: Can rear PTO operate without operator on seat?
I tried it last night and that works, so Thanks again. I did not have the parking brake set the first time I tried it, that was the problem.

/ JD 2520: Can rear PTO operate without operator on seat? #8  
jimgerken said:
I tried it last night and that works, so Thanks again. I did not have the parking brake set the first time I tried it, that was the problem.

I know you've got to set the brake, but I do suggest you chock at least one of the wheels as well.