Adjustable Side Link

/ Adjustable Side Link #1  

MikeyB

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3320
I have a 3320 and have been mowing using an lx-5. Occasionally the adjustable side link moves on its own and the deck tilts effecting the cut. I level it off and somehow it moves. I can't see how it can unscrew with all that weight on it. Anyone else have the same problem? This adjustment is made using a metal paddle that fits into a roll pin to turn the threaded rod. I'm not a big fan of this system, even my old '48 8N had a much nicer crank system that would lock the handle and not allow any movement.

Thanks for any thoughts,
Mike

/ Adjustable Side Link #2  
Looking at the manual on the Deere web site, you appear to have a similar metal paddle like the setup on my 5103. I had the same issue while cutting with my 5103 & rotary cutter.

The paddle has a notch in it at the bottom. This notch slips over the pin to allow you to screw in the link (shortening) or screw it out (lengthening). When finished making your adjustments, raise the paddle, rotate it so that the pin slips into one of the wings of the paddle. You then should find a protrusion on the bottom of the link which will mate up to the notch in the paddle thus locking everything together so it doesn't change. You may have to rotate the paddle so the pin goes in the other wing slot to get the notch/protrusion to line up and lock it all together.

It took me several rounds with mine before my frustration eased into patience and I figured it out. Good luck!

/ Adjustable Side Link
ShookFarm,

Thanks for the reply. With all my previous tractors it was pretty intuitive but I guess I'll have to take another look at this design.

Thanks again,
Mike

/ Adjustable Side Link #4  
Presuming you already looked into this but just in case--are both links set in the same position for float or rigid mode? If you are doing the adjustments in float mode and the cutter is not resting on level ground it could change when you get to working it. Seems like float mode gives a couple of inches of movement.