Added Tool Box to 2520

/ Added Tool Box to 2520 #1  

lincolnvt

Silver Member
Tractor
2007 JD 2520
Hey guys:
Kept thinking it would be nice to have some tools / storage on the tractor so while I was at my dealer I picked up a new JD toolbox. I called my friend Chuck who does a lot of welding and can fix any tractor (actually he can fix anything) and he said bring her up to the shop. The first thing we did was find a piece of steel plate which fit the width b/w the ROPS. It is about 4in wide and has a 90 degree bend with another 4in going vertically (L shaped I guess you would call it). Unscrewed the holders for the seat belts on both ends - marked the steel plate through the those mounting holes and drilled it out so the same bolts could be used to mount the plate to the tractor. Then I drilled the top corners to mount the seat belt holders to the vertical part of the plate. We cut some chain links in half and welded three of the half links to the back bottom of the plate for attaching the tractor wiring which had been zip tied to the tractor where we wanted to mount the plate. Next we took the tool box mounting bracket and clamped it to the plate in position to make sure the seat could be moved all the way back and the three point would clear the box. Welded the mounting bracket to our steel plate (don't look at the welds - first time welding for me :) It is **** hard to do - you guys who weld are impressive by the way. After rounding the corners and taking the burrs off I primed and painted everything. Mounted the plate to the tractor and attached the seat belt holders to the plate. Put the box on the mounting plate and there you have it. It is awesome to have a storage place handy on your tractor - I recommend it highly. Hope this wasn't too long winded - just excited to share with you guys. Enjoy the pics and Happy 4th to Everyone!

Cheers,
Brad

Attachments

• IMG_4582.jpg
    IMG_4582.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 926
  • IMG_4583.jpg
    IMG_4583.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 693
  • IMG_4584.jpg
    IMG_4584.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 943
  • IMG_4585.jpg
    IMG_4585.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG_4591.jpg
    IMG_4591.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_4595.jpg
    IMG_4595.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 550
   / Added Tool Box to 2520 #2  
Very nice job. ;) only problem is,
after we Sweet talk the little wife .
where is the backhoe seat going to go...:D

Chris.....:)

/ Added Tool Box to 2520 #3  
Cool Pictures:D
Thanks for sharing...

/ Added Tool Box to 2520 #4  
Clean job! Good pics, nice work.

/ Added Tool Box to 2520
Thanks for the comments guys - it was a fun little project. Chris - I did think about that - since it is bolted on I will remove the whole set up and make space for the backhoe if I am ever so lucky.

/ Added Tool Box to 2520 #6  
Nice job!!!

Are you going to mount your SMV sign?

/ Added Tool Box to 2520 #7  
In the toolbox i noticed that you had some gloves, great idea for attaching/detaching hoses, pto shafts, and anything dirty GREAT!!! That would be the first thing i would put on my 2520!

/ Added Tool Box to 2520
Roy - yes indeed I am going to put my SMV sign back on - Just figuring where I want to put it - any suggestons? Also have a fire extinguisher I am going to mount to the tractor. Happy 4th

Brad

/ Added Tool Box to 2520 #9  
lincolnvt said:
Roy - yes indeed I am going to put my SMV sign back on - Just figuring where I want to put it - any suggestons? Also have a fire extinguisher I am going to mount to the tractor. Happy 4th

Brad

Yeah...if you can't mount it on the tool box, use some straps to mount it at an upper corner of your ROPS (high enough so it doesn't block your vision when looking behind you and offset from the center enough so you won't hit your head on it (or keep band aids in your tool box)).
Fire extingusher, I'd suggest one of the ROPS vertical sections.

/ Added Tool Box to 2520 #10  
Really nice job! Storage is about the only complaint I've had with my 3520. Given the usual purposes for a tractor, a spot for some tools and gloves, etc. should be more of a manfacturer's requirement than a customer's task. I keep loading the ballast box with stuff and heading out to the job. Again - very nice.