My 3720 and a 15' Wing mower... :O)

/ My 3720 and a 15' Wing mower... :O)
I'll measure mine the next time I mount it. However I can tell you it is very low. Maybe a bit more than 3.5" but not much more. Believe it or not my 62D on my 2305 goes much, much higher (When adjusted right). By higher I'm talking about full lift (not a mowing height). The 2305 deck lifts much higher than the max mowing adjustment, the 3720 MMM does not.

I just don't like the idea of banging up my $3000 deck doing loader or even bushhog work. It does cut nice, and I have a cyclone rake that I'll use with it when I need to but I want something easy on/easy off (read RFM) to use weekly , then be able to run the brush hog or other rear implements or the loader without worry.

/ My 3720 and a 15' Wing mower... :O) #12  
That batwing is impressive! It would cut my yard in one pass, but I couldn't fit it through the gate...

/ My 3720 and a 15' Wing mower... :O) #13  
Wow talk about similar circumstances…I to owned a 3720 after downsizing from a TN-75 as I had purchased a larger machine and felt I could easily handle my tasks with the smaller frame decent horsepower machine like the 3720.

In general I liked the 3720 Cab…but I did feel it was somewhat top-heavy for its abilities…mainly attributable, in my opinion, to its rather narrow wheelbase. It however seemed to the do the job great accepting one. I was really in need of a way to mow my finish lawn areas faster… as they had grown to a point where I was perpetually mowing and still not getting the job done. I was up to about 12+ acres of finish lawn!

A turf batwing mower would be ideal but I never could rationalize the cost new. One day my local Deere dealer tells me he has just taken in trade a Frontier FM1015R batwing mower. With a substantially better price than new and only one season of use…thanks last owner…I was determined to buy it.

I like you found that the 3720 had almost sufficient power to run the unit…but due the implements fairly heavy weight (over 3K-lbs) it was a struggle for the tractor to pull the unit up steep grades and/or handle over grown areas.

Needless to say we worked out a deal that made sense where I traded my 3720 Cab/FEL for a 4720 Cab for not a lot of cash…he had a buyer for one so we all won.

I can tell you the FM1015R is huge but it cuts great!...my mowing time has been cut by 60% (using a Caroni 91” mower) it also follows the terrain better and gives a more even cut over the rolling terrain. Oh and since I have fewer operating hours I am cutting my fuel consumption almost as much as my cutting time and my maintenance cost will also be significantly reduced.

As for the 4720 vs the 3720 the power difference doesn’t seem that significant…the real difference is the towing ability (heavier tractor weight vs. implement weight) and the great stability with the significantly wider track and longer wheelbase.

Bottom line…I had definite need for its size and abilities and to really make it work for my size that upgrade had to happen…all and all I am very pleased…

What a cutting machine!

SD-Dave

SD-Dave. I don't mow 12 acres, just about 5-6 depending on some areas I don't mow all the time. I've gotten pretty fast so even with just the 72" deck I could do it in less than 2hrs if I'm not collecting clippings. (I mow fast since it's mostly level).

The FM1015 was much more than I need. I am getting the 110" RFM (If I can't get the fixed blades I'll consider a 90"). The blade speed is much lower than the 1015 (14,900) but I figure I'll just have to mow a little slower. I'll also have the 72" MMM if things get really high or I need to vacuum clippings/leaves.

/ My 3720 and a 15' Wing mower... :O) #15  
Orlo

sounds about right...when I was mowing about half as much...I could handle it with my Caroni 91" 5 blade fixed rear deck...but as more of my fields converted to lawn it became glaringly apparent that I had to upgrade...

I am very pleased with the flex-wing but yes...its not for everyone nor is it remotely a necessity unless you are mowing more than 10 acres I would say.

I also would say that the large frame compacts are really the minum for this large a piece of equipment...anything less and you are not going to get the productivity out of it.

Where in VT are you?

Dave

/ My 3720 and a 15' Wing mower... :O) #16  
Hey Orlo : Was wondering what you use for a collection system for your tractor . I was looking at Protero and my deere dealer had a used deere hydralic dump model . Just curious and looking for one on my 3520 with 72"mmm. TIA hoddykubody

SuperDutyDave:

I'm in Guildhall. Right on the river Across from Lancaster, NH.

Hoddykubody:

I have the MCS system for my 2305 (I'm not a big fan of it due to the pain to take it off/put it on). I also have a cyclone rake that I use both on the 3720 (Haven't used it yet, but did on my 3320 with the same deck).

The cyclone rake works great and doesn't fill too fast. I'd love to get the Hydraulic dump kit but I can't justify (even to myself) $4700 for it.

If I were to buy another system I'd probably try DR's pull behind lawn vac. It's like a cyclone rake but has a hard plastic container rather than the huge canvase square 'bag' of the cyclone rake. Either holds many hundreds of gallons.

If you are cutting a lot of grass I wouldn't recommend the rear mount systems since you'd be emptying a lot. (Where I mow 5 acres I would need to empty my 2305 MCS every 1/2 a lap (basically 1000' x 2-300') the first few outside laps, then it got better. The exception would be maybe the hydro dump since it's so easy to dump. You can get a Cyclone Rake or DR Vac setup for a little under 2K. Not chump change but a lot less than almost 5K, and barely more than the $1600 or so for the powerflow MCS systems. And on the 3000 series the MCS isn't a powerflow and has a separate engine/blower that I think runs almost an extra grand.