Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 2305/JD 4720 cab

Default My 3720 and a 15' Wing mower... :O)

I'm always looking for ways to finish mow faster. My dealer called me and told me he head a 13' wing mower come in used and if I might be interested he'd drop it off for me to try. It ended up being a 15' (Frontier FM1015R). Had some rust on it and a couple of the tires had cracks but were holding air.

First thing when I saw it in my driveway I though "my god, this thing is huge". It was. I had already looked up the specs. It weighs 3200lbs. The operating tongue weight was fine for the 3720. Technically the transport tongue weight was a little heavy but close enough.

After I let down the wings it seemed even bigger than I thought. I moved it to the back yard and engaged the PTO then went up to PTO speed. Moving 9 blades I thought it would vibrate, etc. - It didn't. Very smooth. Cutting grass that I hadn't cut in 2 weeks I could go 3-5.5mph. Stayed around 4-4.5 most of the time. The 3720 had plenty of power except in one or two spots where the grass was particulary thick I had to slow down to maybe 3 or 3.5 for a few seconds. Holy crap I thought - a 180" cut... For long wide turns it actually moved pretty well. Adjusting quickly to obstacles was possible but slow. You need to anticipate well in advance. Turning tight the unit showed a tiny bit of vibration but that was due I'm sure to the extreme angle of the drive shaft (The unit is draw bar mounted and pivots, not like 3pt mounts).

I could mow the open part of my front yard on a small hill, but I have a small square section enclosed by bushes that I just couldn't get.

My conclusion was that it was way, way too big... However had I been able to mow my entire lawn with it (I had to switch to the 72" MMM for the tight part) I might consider keeping it...

It took me maybe 1/2 an hour to mow the 4-5 acres in the back part of the yard, about 1/2 or less what it normally takes me for that part.

The grass was long so I had a lot of grass poop here and there but the cut quality (The blade speed is 16,950 fpm) was pretty good except that I think the decks needed some slight adjustments.

I'd still like to get a pull behind - Reason, the 72" MMM is a pain in the *** to put on and off often. Unlike the 2305 deck which can be taken on and off in about two minutes (Two pop pins, the front mount and drive staft) and most importantly does not lose the height adjustments, on the 3000 series you need to full out the height adjustment, undo two pins which always cause the adjustment yokes (coming off) to spin a turn or two screwing up the height adjustment.

I love the cut quality of the 72" MMM and when I use my cyclone rake for material collection it's great, but when I want to do 'tractor stuff' I don't want the huge deck hanging on banging into stuff and to take it on and off frequenty is a pain.

I've been looking at the 90 and 110" Frontier pull behinds (I ran an 84 and I know with a 90 or 110 I could cut my entire lawn) but the 90 and 110 run at much lower blade speeds and have swinging (rotary cutter style) blades which will be more rugged but won't give as clean a cut.

Anyway, I needed to try it to know. It was a massive beast but handled nicely.

Attached are some pics.
    "I'd rather be on my Tractor"

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 2305/JD 4720 cab

Default Re: My 3720 and a 15' Wing mower... :O)

Pics for above...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Tractor
    jd4100, Cub Cadet 3204 & Cub 125

Very, very cool
    thanks for sharing!

Tractor
    Jinma, Foton, TYM, Belarus, Yanmar, Branson, Montana, Mahindra and maybe some green and orange too.

Holy cow man! That's an awesome setup!! That batwing mower almost looks like new as well. I'd absolutely love to have a finish mower like that, but I've been too cheap to fork over the 15k or so I've been quoted for the only ones I've priced. Again, sweet setup!!
    1982 18" Murray push mower (B&S industrial 8 hp engine!) custom deck, new blade - became unbalanced when one side old blade broke off!
    HF moving dolly - high torque! Dogbone multi-wrench too..wait, it split on first use.
    My trash man is the greatest. No matter how bad the economy gets and how bad stocks drop or how bad home values drop, his business is always picking up.

Now thats the way to cut some grass......
    you could cut my yard in 5 min.....

Chris.....
    John Deere 2520 , R4's , 200CX loader with 61 inch bucket and JD Tooth Bar. And Markham 7 tooth. Tooth bar. 46 Backhoe with 16 inch bucket. with Custom made Street Flip pads off a 448 hoe. Foward work lights. Dual rear work lights. Heavy duty Alternator. I-Match , Ballast Box , Frontier BB2060 box blade , Frontier pallet Forks , JD 3 point reciever hitch. and soon A lot more.. and for grass cutting , John Deere GX 255 with 48 inch deck.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 2305/JD 4720 cab

They are going to let it go for about 1/2 the new price (Not much more than a new 110" RFM), but I think it's still too big.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

That's a heck of a mower for 6 plus 2 acres!
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    John Deere 3720

Wow, I didn't think the 3720 had enough power to drive a mower that big. It's good to know that I could do it if I ever have to.
    JD 3720, 300CX FEL, 72" Belly Mower, air ride seat.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 2305/JD 4720 cab

It actually had plenty of power. The grass was pretty tall and I only had to slow down (to 3-3.5mph) a couple of times.

As I stated previously it was too big so the dealer will probably pick it up today. (sniff sniff... but hey, at least I tried it.

I'm going to go with a 110RFM. I'll still have the 72" MMM for doing really really fine cuts or when I run a collection system. (The 72" MMM runs at over 18K fpm tip speed) but the 110 will let me get things done faster and without the MMM mounted it'll be much easier to do 'tractor' stuff.

Tractor
    JD 3720 Cab, JD 4320, Kubota M110X Cab, Kubota ZD331-72

Orlo, that is some mowing machine. I'm currently mowing about 5-1/2 acres of lawn with a 3720/cab and 72" mmm (2 mos old). I would have never thought the 3720 could handle a mower that large.
    I agree with your comments regarding install/uninstall of the 72" mmm. I am also not happy about the height adjustment -- max up is not high enough being only about 3" off the ground -- would like to be able to adjust to 4" in mid summer like the X485 I traded in. Rear yokes are adjusted almost all the way up on the 3720 . Dealer says this normal with the smaller R4 tires. Just curious if yours is the same way???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast