Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD2520

Default Grader or box blade.

Hi again,

I would like some advice about purchasing a grader blade or box blade. What is the difference? What should each one be used for?

My primary purpose is I need something to help me prepare soil before laying turf. The areas to turf are mostly flat but need smoothing and in some places I will need to bring in and spread top soil. (see pics) The final surface should be smooth and a little compact before laying and rolling turf. Areas that are heavy clay would need to be scarified to help integrate the top soil with the heavy clay. (Which is why I lean to box blade)

My second purpose is to help dig for concreting a slab in front of a shed (see pic) and eventually remove existing asphalt driveway and replace with concrete. I need to remove clay and soil material evenly and without aerating subsoil too much. I have concluded that it is impossible to use loader blade for digging out even amounts of material.

Which implement do I need? What width is best 4 or 5 foot? Does anyone have pictures of their box blade in action? How difficult is it to get a nice flat cut with box blade or grader blade? I am thinking of purchasing a non genuine box blade or grader blade, what should I be looking for in terms of quality?

Thought I would throw a few extra piccies of the work I have been doing round the place (rock wall, mulching, garden beds). If anyone wants some of that nice mulch, I still have over 1000 cubic meters available!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tractor
    JD 2305

Default Re: Grader or box blade.

Sounds like a box blade would be the best for your needs. You can always pull the teeth up and just use it like a scraper.

I believe you'll want the 5' version for your 2520 - Frontier has gotten good reviews here and it works with iMatch.

Scott

I like mine, it works real well. I think it is a must have for the tractor.
    Shot when new

Shot after a few uses.
    2305, 200CX, MMM, iMATCH, Frontier Box Blade, Weight Box, Markham Welding Toothbar, JD 826D Snowblower, Toro Super Recycler, Stihl KM55R Power Unit, FS Line Head, FCS Str Edger, Stihl HS45 Hedge Trimmer, and Still FS80 Brushcutter, Stihl BG85 Blower, Star Sprayer,Herd M96 Spreader.

"From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free" Jacques Cousteau

Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

For your primary purpose you might want to consider a 6' york rake with wheels, I was surprised at how well they work even on the rough work and the finish is perfect.
    I borrowed one once and with the wheels there's no learning curve just drop and go very easy. I do own both the 5' box blade and 6' rear blade which require a great deal of practice or you will make things worse than when you started, the box blade is good for very rough work but a little tricky on the working depth adjustment, the only thing I use the rear blade for is snow.
    I'm trying to buy the rake I borrowed from a friend, we're still in the negotiating stage.
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

Tractor
    JD2520

Thanks for the advice.

I have been looking at this Hanmey Implements box blade. Has anyone used this brand before? Does the frame look OK? It does not look as good as the frontier! Do I purchase the frontier Box blade in AUstralia through John Deere?

Mayor, just out of interest - Are the weights on your box blade really required?

I USE THE SAME BOX BLADE AS MAYOR HAS PICTURED ABOVE AND I TOO HAVE USED THIS MODEL ALOT!! I HAVE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH A BB'S BEFORE AND I HAVE TO SAY THE 2048L IS VERY WELL BUILT. ALTHOUGH I HAVE A FULL CATEGORY 1 HITCH I FEEL LIKE THE LOW PROFILE OR (L) MODELS ARE MORE DURABLE AND GIVE MORE GROUND CLEARANCE ON MY 2320!!! JUST MY OPINION.

Tractor
    JD 2520

Not to go off topic with a dumb question...but...

What are those black tubes with a cap on your box blades?

Looks like it could be a tool/pin holder?

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455

Quote Originally Posted by prosperity
    Not to go off topic with a dumb question...but...

What are those black tubes with a cap on your box blades?

Looks like it could be a tool/pin holder?
    The owners manual comes in the tubes. Neat huh?
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components.

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Visit our YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Mayor
    I like mine, it works real well. I think it is a must have for the tractor.
    Shot when new

Shot after a few uses.
    Mayor , that box blade is just way to clean.
    you need to get to work....

Chris....
    John Deere 2520 , R4's , 200CX loader with 61 inch bucket and JD Tooth Bar. And Markham 7 tooth. Tooth bar. 46 Backhoe with 16 inch bucket. with Custom made Street Flip pads off a 448 hoe. Foward work lights. Dual rear work lights. Heavy duty Alternator. I-Match , Ballast Box , Frontier BB2060 box blade , Frontier pallet Forks , JD 3 point reciever hitch. and soon A lot more.. and for grass cutting , John Deere GX 255 with 48 inch deck.

Tractor
    J.D. 4310 E-hydro

box works great for removing sod
    JD 4310; E hydro, 300CX, 48 BH, 60" box, 72" rake, 72" rear blade, cast pallet forks, 48", 61"HD & 73" high volume bucket.
    FORD 1700; 2 WD, 2600 hrs.
    JD 320; Hydra lift, 48" deck and 48" snow blade.
    2007 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins 6.7L, Aisin 6 speed, 9ft utility body.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast