Grading Grader or box blade.

/ Grader or box blade. #1  

nails_n_glue

Tractor
JD2520
Hi again,

I would like some advice about purchasing a grader blade or box blade. What is the difference? What should each one be used for?

My primary purpose is I need something to help me prepare soil before laying turf. The areas to turf are mostly flat but need smoothing and in some places I will need to bring in and spread top soil. (see pics) The final surface should be smooth and a little compact before laying and rolling turf. Areas that are heavy clay would need to be scarified to help integrate the top soil with the heavy clay. (Which is why I lean to box blade)

My second purpose is to help dig for concreting a slab in front of a shed (see pic) and eventually remove existing asphalt driveway and replace with concrete. I need to remove clay and soil material evenly and without aerating subsoil too much. I have concluded that it is impossible to use loader blade for digging out even amounts of material.

Which implement do I need? What width is best 4 or 5 foot? Does anyone have pictures of their box blade in action? How difficult is it to get a nice flat cut with box blade or grader blade? I am thinking of purchasing a non genuine box blade or grader blade, what should I be looking for in terms of quality?

Thought I would throw a few extra piccies of the work I have been doing round the place (rock wall, mulching, garden beds). If anyone wants some of that nice mulch, I still have over 1000 cubic meters available!

Attachments

• _MG_2320a.jpg
    _MG_2320a.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 948
  • _MG_2335a.jpg
    _MG_2335a.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 731
  • _MG_2334a.jpg
    _MG_2334a.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 718
  • _MG_2328a.jpg
    _MG_2328a.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 642
  • _MG_2336a.jpg
    _MG_2336a.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 690
   / Grader or box blade. #2  
Sounds like a box blade would be the best for your needs. You can always pull the teeth up and just use it like a scraper.

I believe you'll want the 5' version for your 2520 - Frontier has gotten good reviews here and it works with iMatch.

Scott

/ Grader or box blade. #3  
I like mine, it works real well. I think it is a must have for the tractor.
Shot when new
Deere-13.jpg

Shot after a few uses.
snowready1.jpg

/ Grader or box blade. #4  
For your primary purpose you might want to consider a 6' york rake with wheels, I was surprised at how well they work even on the rough work and the finish is perfect.
I borrowed one once and with the wheels there's no learning curve just drop and go very easy. I do own both the 5' box blade and 6' rear blade which require a great deal of practice or you will make things worse than when you started, the box blade is good for very rough work but a little tricky on the working depth adjustment, the only thing I use the rear blade for is snow.
I'm trying to buy the rake I borrowed from a friend, we're still in the negotiating stage.

/ Grader or box blade.
Thanks for the advice.

I have been looking at this Hanmey Implements box blade. Has anyone used this brand before? Does the frame look OK? It does not look as good as the frontier! Do I purchase the frontier Box blade in AUstralia through John Deere?

Mayor, just out of interest - Are the weights on your box blade really required?

showlargeimage.php

/ Grader or box blade. #6  
I USE THE SAME BOX BLADE AS MAYOR HAS PICTURED ABOVE AND I TOO HAVE USED THIS MODEL ALOT!! I HAVE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH A BB'S BEFORE AND I HAVE TO SAY THE 2048L IS VERY WELL BUILT. ALTHOUGH I HAVE A FULL CATEGORY 1 HITCH I FEEL LIKE THE LOW PROFILE OR (L) MODELS ARE MORE DURABLE AND GIVE MORE GROUND CLEARANCE ON MY 2320!!! JUST MY OPINION.;)

Attachments

• SUMMER 07 PICS II 021.jpg
    SUMMER 07 PICS II 021.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 584
   / Grader or box blade. #7  
Not to go off topic with a dumb question...but...

What are those black tubes with a cap on your box blades?

Looks like it could be a tool/pin holder?

/ Grader or box blade. #8  
prosperity said:
Not to go off topic with a dumb question...but...

What are those black tubes with a cap on your box blades?

Looks like it could be a tool/pin holder?

The owners manual comes in the tubes. Neat huh?:D

/ Grader or box blade. #9  
Mayor said:
I like mine, it works real well. I think it is a must have for the tractor.
Shot when new
Deere-13.jpg

Shot after a few uses.
snowready1.jpg

Mayor , that box blade is just way to clean.
you need to get to work....:D

Chris....:)

/ Grader or box blade. #10  
box works great for removing sod

Attachments

• P4113886 (1200 x 900).jpg
    P4113886 (1200 x 900).jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 1,067
  • P4113887 (800 x 600).jpg
    P4113887 (800 x 600).jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 1,214
  • P5144038 (800 x 600).jpg