Your opinion of John Deere paint jobs?

/ Your opinion of John Deere paint jobs? #1  

ClemBert

Tractor
Kubota M7060
I know to some the attitude will be "this is farm equipment not a luxury automobile so who cares about rust, dings, and fading paint". I say, this piece of equipment cost as much as a luxury automobile and lacks the luxury items so at least give me a good decent paint job.

Last edited:
   / Your opinion of John Deere paint jobs? #2  
I personally think JD paint jobs are some of the MOST DURABLE I have EVER seen! The bucket of my 2210 was 95% painted yet, and I worked the heck out of the loader hauling gravel, trees, wood, cinder blocks......:eek:

If I ever find a car that has this durable of paint, I'll buy 3 of them. :cool:

/ Your opinion of John Deere paint jobs? #3  
the one thing that I have noticed about John Deere paints jobs is that on the 5003 series tractors, the rims fade prematurely. i've noticed this on every year model for that particular tractor series. it seems that after buying one of these, that after 100 hours the rims go from yellow to a beige looking color. none of the other JD series models seem to have this problem. anyone else agree with me on this?

/ Your opinion of John Deere paint jobs? #4  
On my little 2210 the tractor itself is great. On the 210 loader it's peeling at the corners and edges like you said. The wheel wieghts and I match hitch are a joke and considering what they cost good powder coating should be the standard. On the 210 loader I'm guessing that the peeling edges and corners are because the metal is hard and polished from laser cutting making it hard for the powder to bite well. Better chemical prep or an abrasive process to roughen the edge and break the corners would probably help.

/ Your opinion of John Deere paint jobs? #5  
The 2520 I got a few months ago came with perfect paint. To be honest I found it to be great. I also made sure to look very close for any flaws. I did not find any.

Also as explained in the JD manual, waxing is not recommended. Waxing is really only good for show cars that rarely get used. Wax will melt under the heat, almost like a candle. I would avoid waxing your machine at all times unless it is to become a garage queen.

/ Your opinion of John Deere paint jobs? #6  
My tractor came with a few paint chips here and there resulting in small rust spots where the paint is missing. There aren't too many and most of these are on the FEL. They appear to be where the tractor was chained down for transportation. This was of course a little dissappointing for a brand new tractor. Other than that, the paint looks great to me.

JDCAN said:
Also as explained in the JD manual, waxing is not recommended.QUOTE]

That's funny, because my JD manual recommends using a high-quality automotive wax that is non-abrasive...

/ Your opinion of John Deere paint jobs? #7  
boatermark said:
That's funny, because my JD manual recommends using a high-quality automotive wax that is non-abrasive...

Just for kicks I checked and the 2520 states:
John Deere 2520 Manual section entitled Service Miscellaneous - Cleaning Plastic Surfaces said:
4. Wax the surface with a liquid automotive wax. Use products that specifically say "contains no abrasives."

I've been using Klasse All-in-One (same as I use on my truck) and I can say that if you use it about once a year and store your tractor under a UV-protective tent you probably won't see any damage after about 18 months - beyond that I make no guarantees :)

/ Your opinion of John Deere paint jobs? #8  
[QUOTE
JDCAN said:
Also as explained in the JD manual, waxing is not recommended.QUOTE]

Mine too for my 2305...

I do give it a bit of wax - makes it look nice, clean up better/easier and helps combat the salt that I deal with when snowblowing here in MN.

JDCAN - where did you get that information???

Scott

/ Your opinion of John Deere paint jobs? #9  
I went and looked again in the 2520 book, it calls for a LIQUID-WAX ONLY, this is alot different than a paste wax. When he said wax I was thinking about paste wax. It does say to avoid all plastic. Whatever the case maybe, liquid wax is not entirely a wax. So, it cleans and leaves a wax-like film on the paint.

Either way I personally feel for myself, I will avoid wax due to the candle effect in heat.

If the tractor is in the heat alot (which mine is most of the time) the wax will be of no benefit, a good cleaning with clean wash cloth and alot of clean water will be plenty.

To each their own, in the end it's a tractor and 99.9% of it's time is in the dirt and grass etc. waxing IMO seems to defeat the purpose.

/ Your opinion of John Deere paint jobs? #10  
I feel basically the same as boatermark. Mine had a couple spots on the top of the loader arms and on the back of the mounts. My dealer gave me a touch up pen, kind of like a paint pen, to touch them up with. Can't see them now unless you look for them.

One of the things I like the most about my tractor is all the plastic - fenders, hood, etc.. Paint or not they'll never rust.

I don't expect I will ever wax my tractor. Heck, it barely stays clean long enough to wax it and if I had that much time I wouldn't need a tractor to begin with. However, to each their own, but I would stay away from cleaning waxes regardless.

Keep up with the maintenance schedules 100%, store it out of the sun, and get your work done!