3-Point Hitch My 2305 and my new three point Dump Grass Catcher

/ My 2305 and my new three point Dump Grass Catcher #1  

stuarth

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2670
Here are a few pictures of my John Deere 2305 tractor with my new Protero dump style grass catcher. Protero Inc » Professional Grade Lawn Baggers and Dethatchers The two people I have talked to and worked with at Protero (Chuck & Cindy) have been very helpful and are a pleasure to work with, they know what customer service is all about!!! This catcher has been a little bit of a challenge to get it to fit just right with my 54C MMM but I am almost there and the adjustments are able to be made too. I am just waiting on the higher deck pulley from Protero so the belt runs horizontal from the blower to the deck. But I can sure tell you, this Protero is WAY better than the JD MCS that is built for this 2305 tractor. I had the JD MCS and returned it before even trying it on my lawn.
I wanted to also mention this is the Protero PV18. Protero also offers a smaller dump catcher that resembles the top of the JD bag style (the top) but no bags, the bottom part is a hard plastic dump style also. I included a picture of the PV212 on an X-Series and it's using the JD blower attached to the mower deck. The PV212 holds 9.5 bushels and the PV18 holds 14.5 bushels.

Attachments

• DSC02320.JPG
    DSC02320.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 8,062
  • DSC02321.JPG
    DSC02321.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 6,764
  • DSC02322.JPG
    DSC02322.JPG
    219.9 KB · Views: 5,810
  • DSC02323.JPG
    DSC02323.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 3,450
  • DSC02324.JPG
    DSC02324.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 3,097
  • pv212 on x-series.jpg
    pv212 on x-series.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 3,176
   / My 2305 and my new three point Dump Grass Catcher #2  
Looks like a nice setup...

So clue me in, please... What made you want a collection system rather than mulching? I know that lots of people bag, I'm just wondering why, not saying one is better than the other. For me, bagging means extra work to dump the load and deal with the pile later. What are the advantages/disadvantages vs. mulching? (Other than the obvious - clippings left on the lawn!)

/ My 2305 and my new three point Dump Grass Catcher #3  
Could we ask how much that was?

I agree about the 2305 powerflow. I have one one and have a lot of issues with it. I much prefer my cyclone rake but that doesn't auto-empty (or even empty easily).

/ My 2305 and my new three point Dump Grass Catcher #4  
VABlue said:
What made you want a collection system rather than mulching?

If you mulch you may need to dethatch and aerate the lawn more often, but my reason for collecting the clippings is so have a steady supply of organic material to till into the garden. I've got fairly flat land (meaning not much excess topsoil) and I also use the clippings to help fill in low spots.

/ My 2305 and my new three point Dump Grass Catcher
I have lots of areas that have beds on both sides and don't want to blow the clippings in the beds. The mulch I am able to get from the pile after a year or two is like black gold, great for the beds. The yard looks great after picking up the clippings but the biggest advantage is in the fall, picking up the leaves.
I purchased this PV18 as a demo unit and it was $1850.

/ My 2305 and my new three point Dump Grass Catcher #6  
Wow that thing is huge. Does the tractor get tippy when its full of wet juicy grass? :eek:
I bet it works like a champ! :cool:

/ My 2305 and my new three point Dump Grass Catcher
No the tractor is just fine with it empty or full. Thanks for the interest.

/ My 2305 and my new three point Dump Grass Catcher #8  
That looks like an awesome set-up. Huge fan unit must really work great. I have the 14 bushel Deere powerflow and think it is great as I have not had any problems with it so far. Just wish it had hard bins not the soft bags. I have to bag my lawn so I don't have to listen to the wife when the kids and I drag clippings into the house and all over their toys and clothes. I disagree about mulching and dethatching/aerating more often. Clippings don't contribute to thatch. Mulching/discharging is preferred as long as the clippings don't get so thick that they exclude water, air and light. But bagging is ok, and should be done if there are diseases present, or weed seed heads. Returning the clippings to the soil adds organic material and can equal up to one fertilization per year.

/ My 2305 and my new three point Dump Grass Catcher #9  
Well, I knew about composting, but never thought about it! I mulch simply because I don't want to deal with clippings. Just this spring I tilled and seeded my backyard, so the only weed in it so far is the white clover I planted with the grass. Thanks for the explanations...

/ My 2305 and my new three point Dump Grass Catcher #10  
The blower housing sure looks low. Looks like it would scrape but might be angle of the photos taken. Does the housing hang below above or even with the blades?

Edit: Does everyone need to order a mower deck pulley with the universal blower and how does it install. On top of the spindle jackshaft pulley? or do you pull the original deck spindle pulley off and replace it with a protero double stacked pulley? I clicked on the http://www.proteroinc.com/OrderParts.html link to find the answer but the page was blank, Thanks.

Last edited: