The fun of it all- a dead battery

/ The fun of it all- a dead battery #1  

Taylork

Tractor
John Deere 5103
Thought some of you would find the following humerous:

Bought a new tractor (5103!) about a month ago, got 4 hours on it and it started raining (I am in East Texas near Huntsville) almost since then.

The weather finally cleared up (and dried out enough, more importantly :) ) to get some serious mowing done- or so I thought. Seems the grass was up to my knees and the tassles up to my belly button. Good grief.

Anyway, after taking off the afternoon, I happily head to the barn, put the key in to that pristine JD 5103, and quiet- not even a click. Durn battery had gone COMPLETELY (shorted out- didn't even give a tiny spark when you put a wire across the terminals). No, it had not just discharged....

Then, the fun, no battery cables. Also, naturally I could not raise the loader (which really has to be out of the way to get the battery in/out). So, I had to wrestle with that for some time and *barely* got out the battery. Complicating all of this was I had an incomplete metric set, which of course I needed, which slowed it all down. Good grief.

Took the battery to JD dealer (about 30 minutes away, luckily), who kinda looked at me like I was crazy, but the test proved it was totally dead. Then, more fun, they go to get a new battery but then they didn't have enough acid! Had to wait while they graciously went to get it (thank goodness).

Then, I went and got battery cables and metric set. Ok, looks like things are better (but, it is now 4:00 and I still had to drive back to the place- I had arrived at my place at 1:00!) The battery was- of course- covered under warranty (and I got a MUCH Better -and slightly larger- JD battery to replace it than the Original equipment "Indian" battery.)

Thus, I fire it up using the battery cables (never hope to do that again) and get the loader up and out of the way. Fiddled around with the new metric set and put that battery in rather quickly, of course, sweating like a pig.

I never felt so darn good as when I finally jumped on the tractor (again, 1.25 months old) and got to do some shredding. But, it started raining again and has continued more or less since then (and still more expected today- never in my 56 years have I seen such a wet Texas July). At least I got about 2 acres done.

Anybody else have "short lived" battery(s)? I have obviously learned to always have battery cables available if nothing else (mine where at home, not at the place).

Live and learn.

/ The fun of it all- a dead battery #2  
Battery issue is possible, but more likely you have a short somewhere in the system, or something that is remaining on, that is deadening it as it sits. If you have a V meter check the voltage at the battery before starting and then as running. Before 12.5 to .7 - - As running right after startup 13 to 14. If so your charging system is ok. When you stop check it again. Then again the next day. If it continues to drop after it gets down to 12. 5 it suggests you have a continuous drain on the battery. A problem with the tractor-a strain on the humour.
larry

/ The fun of it all- a dead battery #3  
The way to confirm a continuous battery drain is to disconnect the positive battery cable; and put a multi-meter (set to DC volts) in series with the positive battery terminal and the cable. This will show you the amount of voltage being drained from the battery when the tractor is off.

/ The fun of it all- a dead battery
Thanks for the great thoughts, and I do intend to check out a possible drain or short in the tractor itself.

Since the test at the JD shop did show a short in the cell(s), I thought I was ok and had not considered doing the above suggested tests. A little extra checking sure won't hurt!

/ The fun of it all- a dead battery #5  
swines said:
The way to confirm a continuous battery drain is to disconnect the positive battery cable; and put a multi-meter (set to DC volts) in series with the positive battery terminal and the cable. This will show you the amount of voltage being drained from the battery when the tractor is off.
Yes, absolutely. Check for spark at the terminal tho to pre estimate the drain. It may be too much drain for multimeter to take. Most go to 10A, but some only to 2A.
larry

/ The fun of it all- a dead battery #6  
grass was up to my knees and the tassles up to my belly button...headed for Bastrop today and have the same problems .... probably going to be too wet to mow though so it'll be getting even taller.... rain forecasted for all next week too..... but then again - I know the forecasters....;-)

/ The fun of it all- a dead battery #7  
I've seen defective new batteries (worked in garage many years ago). Several mos ago I bought a new 500 A. acid cell battery from Sears for a new 15KW standby generator I had just installed. It was bad from the start -- wouldn't even turn the engine. So it does happen on rare occasions.

/ The fun of it all- a dead battery #8  
SPYDERLK said:
Yes, absolutely. Check for spark at the terminal tho to pre estimate the drain. It may be too much drain for multimeter to take. Most go to 10A, but some only to 2A.
larry

If there's that much current flow, the battery wouldn't last more than 1-2 hours after the machine is turned off. That would have to be a short to ground - whatever wiring is doing that would be awfully hot....and you wouldn't need a meter to find it.