A bit off topic .... Tractor modifications

/ A bit off topic .... Tractor modifications #1  

nails_n_glue

Tractor
JD2520
While I was on you tube the other day I discovered a sport I knew nothing about. Tractor pulling.

There seems to be something that resembles a race car with small front wheels, large rear wheels and an engine that would be more at home on a runway. The front vehicle is pulling something that looks like it has a person onboard and some sort of tractor implement.

What on earth is this all about? Are they dragging some sort of implement through the dirt? If the front car really is a tractor, what sort of equipment would it pull around in a farm?

Has anyone ever modified their tractor or tractor engine?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K1DlFbKdnK8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K1DlFbKdnK8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

YouTube - Tractor Pulling 2007 Füchtorf

/ A bit off topic .... Tractor modifications #2  
You just 'now' noticed tractor pulls ?

Where you been ?, under a rock ?

/ A bit off topic .... Tractor modifications #3  
nails_n_glue said:
While I was on you tube the other day I discovered a sport I knew nothing about. Tractor pulling.

There seems to be something that resembles a race car with small front wheels, large rear wheels and an engine that would be more at home on a runway. The front vehicle is pulling something that looks like it has a person onboard and some sort of tractor implement.

What on earth is this all about? Are they dragging some sort of implement through the dirt? If the front car really is a tractor, what sort of equipment would it pull around in a farm?

Has anyone ever modified their tractor or tractor engine?

YouTube - Tractor Pulling 2007 Füchtorf
Tractor pulls in the US is a big sport and a big business, as such.

They pull a weighted sled that progressivly increases the resistance with weight as the sled moves forward.

/ A bit off topic .... Tractor modifications #4  
Wow , thay dont have Troctor pulls in Australia...:eek:
here in US , its just like baceball and apple pie.....:D
here thay have pulls with tractor and trucks. and even lawn tractors..;)

Chris....:)

/ A bit off topic .... Tractor modifications #5  
Those machines aren't for use on the local farm. They are specially modified/built to pull the sled farther than the other tractor. The sled increases resistance as its pulled along - the farther it goes, the more resistance. They're fun to watch!

I wouldn't say they are anywhere near 'baseball and apple pie' in popularity. But at the county fair (carnival) they will attract thousands of spectators each night...

/ A bit off topic .... Tractor modifications #6  
VABlue said:
Those machines aren't for use on the local farm. They are specially modified/built to pull the sled farther than the other tractor. The sled increases resistance as its pulled along - the farther it goes, the more resistance. They're fun to watch!

I wouldn't say they are anywhere near 'baseball and apple pie' in popularity. But at the county fair (carnival) they will attract thousands of spectators each night...

VA , down here in GA. tha'll take a good ole tractor pull over baceball
any day....:D Remember our necks are red as our dirt around here....:p

/ A bit off topic .... Tractor modifications #8  
Thats pretty cool, I don't think they do it in the UK though :(

/ A bit off topic .... Tractor modifications #9  
talking about baceball and tractor pulls. when the tractor pulls come usualy the monster trucks come to. thay have it at the GA dome. and it holds about 60000 people. and it is filled up . i know. i set on the 50 yard line...:D

and dont even get me started on when the mud boggs come to town.
you give us a boggin hole , and we are in heaven....:D we love mud. i use to have every kind of 4 wheeler there was. i got one of the first FWD 4wheelers made. but i got older and sold them all. i was not afrade of them. and i was going to get killed. so i sold them a few years ago. :(
I think i am going to get me a yamaha rhino...:) I might not act to silly in one of those...;)

/ A bit off topic .... Tractor modifications #10  
The spelling is "baseball".