John Deere Model A

/ John Deere Model A #1  

Highsmith

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L2350DT, BCS 853
I have access to an old Model A. Been parked under a lean-to for 20+ years. Needs A LOT of work to get it running again as it had quit running prior to being pushed under the shed. I am wondering if it is worth the effort/expense as I will have to have a shop do it.

Looking for information online, I saw there was a version with the spiked metal wheels, but this one has rubber.

My grandfather used this to farm 500 acres for years. So it would be great to get it running and supplement it with a different type of tractor. This would be great compared to trying to find one do-it-all tractor.

How much information can I get if I get the serial number? It has one on there, but I lost the paper I copied it to. Will get it again next week.

I will get pictures loaded later.

/ John Deere Model A #2  
Take a look at the Two Cylinder clubs for everything you would need. May be able to trace the original selling dealer via the SN as well.

Bad news is may easily cost more than the tractor is worth to bring it back to 100%. The hydraulics are only 1000 psi and 5 qt oil capacity, but I was able to configure to run the 3pt up and then rear SCV's activate. I have partially restored a '48 after my uncle.

If you get past the expense there is flat out nothing like an old Johnny Popper thumping across the field pulling a plow, disc, or cultivator while you STAND on the drivers platform looking around at the Fall colors.

/ John Deere Model A
Trying to load pictures....

Attachments

• Tractor1.JPG
    Tractor1.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 316
  • Tractor2.JPG
    Tractor2.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 305
  • Tractor4.JPG
    Tractor4.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 251
  • Tractor5.JPG
    Tractor5.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 231
   / John Deere Model A #5  
What you have is called a late styled model A. There should be a serial number plate just ahead of the mag (right side as you sit on the seat) on the main case facing up. These are important to collectors. Your tractor looks to be very complete and I am surprised someone has not grabbed it already. If you do not want to restore it someone else will. I have found that tractors such as yours are particularly attractive to collectors. Your tractor has nice sheet metal and looks fairly complete. It would be a 1950, 51, or 52 model. Here is a picture of my A.

a32501.jpg

Last edited: