York rake ?

/ York rake ? #1  

Jksnvly

Silver Member
Tractor
07 2520
I need to to the finish grading around our new pond. I have a 2520 and am looking to buy a york rake. I really don't have to move much soil, I just have to smooth it out and prepare it for seeding, and then rake it in. Is a 60" right or can I do a 72"? Thanks.

/ York rake ? #3  
I have a Woods LR 72 rake which I use with my 2520. I feel it is a great size match for the tractor. The 2520 has been able to handle it , even when the rake is fully loaded. I think you can feel confident with a 72" rake.

/ York rake ? #4  
Our 84" landscape rake seems to take little power even when digging in.

I would recommend that you invest in the optional gauge wheels as they help make the final grade more level. The new JD LR 2184 rake with gauge wheels cost us about $1500 delivered last year. From the JD owner's manual we set the 3pt hitch arms in the float position to let the wheels keep the rake level as the tractor pitches over bumps, note that the wheels so not swivel 360 so you should lift the rake when backing.

Woods makes a nice rake too & it may cost a little less than JD or York.

/ York rake ? #5  
DrainPondDesign said:
Our 84" landscape rake seems to take little power even when digging in.

I would recommend that you invest in the optional gauge wheels as they help make the final grade more level. The new JD LR 2184 rake with gauge wheels cost us about $1500 delivered last year. From the JD owner's manual we set the 3pt hitch arms in the float position to let the wheels keep the rake level as the tractor pitches over bumps, note that the wheels so not swivel 360 so you should lift the rake when backing.

Woods makes a nice rake too & it may cost a little less than JD or York.

what is the difference between a JD LR 2184 rake and a power rake? I know Harley makes good power rakes, but very expensive.

/ York rake ? #6  
Power rake is driven off the pto. It turns the soil, leveling it for planting, and can rake the rocks off to the side as it goes. Think of it as a modified roto-tiller, which instead of tines, uses a cylinder with protruding carbide pins to turn up the soil as it progresses. Gives a finer soil finish.

/ York rake ? #7  
gunmaker said:
Power rake is driven off the pto. It turns the soil, leveling it for planting, and can rake the rocks off to the side as it goes. Think of it as a modified roto-tiller, which instead of tines, uses a cylinder with protruding carbide pins to turn up the soil as it progresses. Gives a finer soil finish.

Yes I have seen these. I know Harley makes good ones, but I believe they are like 5 grand. I may have to settle for a landscape rake and tiller.

/ York rake ? #8  
$1500 for a new 84" rake, yikes! $5000 for a power rake, double yikes!! Actually, I knew the power rake is priced where it really only makes sense for a commercial user. As for the manual York style rake, if its short term to finish one project don't overlook the possibilty of renting one. I'm guessing maybe $100 per day. Sizewise, 72'' is perfect for the 2520 and the 84" is also probably fine for spreading loose material. If you might have more use for it in the future do seriously consider the used market. There's no motor, gears, etc to go bad so as long as you find one straight, not broke, and not missing any parts it will work just as good as a new one. Basically what you see is what you get. I found a used Woods 60" box blade (with scarifiers) and 72" rake (no wheels) together for $800, both in excellent condition, to use with my old 755 and now my 2520.

The box blade works excellent on undisturbed ground and the rake is good (with practice and patience) for spreading loose soil/stone or removing rocks and debris. For final grading it will (with or without wheels) tend to follow the existing contour of the ground you're working. You'll want to go slow and have your right hand on the 3PT lever at all times to knock down the high spots. For final smoothing out of loose dirt and topsoil I bought a $150, 4x4 foot drag harrow from Tractor Supply and it works excellent. For this final step I drag it upside down behind my small 455 (with turf tires). The 2520 should easily handle one of the bigger versions.

Good luck with your project.

/ York rake ? #9  
$1,500 Yikes! When you are looking at 12" deep ruts after your first mud season & only one dealer will deliver then price shopping is sort of limited.

I'm resisting buying other land leveling implements & trying to learn how to get the most out of the rake. Adjusting hitch tilt, rake angle & individual wheel height produces different effects. If you raise the wheels & only lower the rake till it digs a little then it doesn't follow the existing contours as much.

In the end it all comes down to moving the high spots to the low spots & some people do this entirely with the loader.

Bumper crop of rocks this year up to softball size & a few soccer balls as well which we rake into the loader by hand like a dust pan. Next year there will be more & I can't figure out how they grow so fast? Are pebbles seed rocks?

/ York rake ? #10  
DrainPondDesign said:
Are pebbles seed rocks?

Yep! And the Upstae NY climate is perfect for growing them. Next year I'm going with a commercial weed killer!