Cidertom

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4520, 2305 Aktive snow-trac ST4
The further adventures of the 448 back hoe by Cidertom
The cast:
Service tech played by the service tech
Service manager played by the service manager
DTAC played by someone with their head up their *****.

We last found Cidertom with a slow motion 448 hoe with no power. The intrepid service tech diagnosed the problem to a broken (and I mean BROKEN) relief valve. Part was ordered and recieved. Only it won't fit. Deere & Co insists it is the correct part, but IT WON'T FIT. Service manager in the loop now. Pulls valve from new 448 hoe in inventory, installs it in Cidertoms machine and Cidertom is digging holes into the sunset. Meanwhile; back at the dealership, the service manager is trying to get donor hoe repaired before sales does their thing and sells it. DTAC is still insisting the part that won't fit is the correct part.

Will the service manager get the right part? Will this drag on so long they forget to send Cidertom the repair bill? Will they ever get the right part so they know what to bill Cidertom? Stay tuned for these answers and more in "As the hoe digs" a continuing saga of a Communications Engineer turned Backhoe operator.

/ another 448 hoe issue #2  
The whole purpose of having your head up your *** is that you can't see anything. If you can't see, you don't have to actually do your job. Amazing!

Steve

/ another 448 hoe issue #3  
The good news is that your back up and running, that makes a good dealer IMHO. Some may have just waited for the right part and not robbed it from the sales stock!

/ another 448 hoe issue #4  
Hear, hear! Your dealer did the right thing! Applied a measure of common sense to a problem with JD's computerized part's inventory listing.

Someone will just have to drop the computer on the floor a few times and shift a few of those 1's and 0's to reflect the correct part number...

Buy the shop crew (service tech) a dozen donuts from the local bakery and drop them off with the shop foreman (service manager).

AKfish

/ another 448 hoe issue #5  
AKfish said:
Hear, hear! Your dealer did the right thing! Applied a measure of common sense to a problem with JD's computerized part's inventory listing.

Someone will just have to drop the computer on the floor a few times and shift a few of those 1's and 0's to reflect the correct part number...

Buy the shop crew (service tech) a dozen donuts from the local bakery and drop them off with the shop foreman (service manager).

AKfish

Hear-Hear!!. As a service manager (auto) this kind act of appreciation is noted and appreciated. I agree that the s.m. did his job, not all would've been so responsive or on the ball. Ya got a good serv. dpt.

/ another 448 hoe issue
I really appreciate the service dept at the dealership I use. I read the horror stories of other dealers services, and thank the tractor gods that isn't how mine works. They don't have a problem with helping me work issues (printouts and DTAC researches) and have taken me out on the floor to pick their tech's brains on problems. When it requires the tractor to visit, they keep me in the loop on status, what went wrong and how it was fixed.

Perhaps that is why I don't hesitate to reccomend them to my friends.

/ another 448 hoe issue
Cidertom said:
The further adventures of the 448 back hoe by Cidertom
The cast:
Service tech played by the service tech
Service manager played by the service manager
DTAC played by someone with their head up their *****.

We last found Cidertom with a slow motion 448 hoe with no power. The intrepid service tech diagnosed the problem to a broken (and I mean BROKEN) relief valve. Part was ordered and recieved. Only it won't fit. Deere & Co insists it is the correct part, but IT WON'T FIT. Service manager in the loop now. Pulls valve from new 448 hoe in inventory, installs it in Cidertoms machine and Cidertom is digging holes into the sunset. Meanwhile; back at the dealership, the service manager is trying to get donor hoe repaired before sales does their thing and sells it. DTAC is still insisting the part that won't fit is the correct part.

Will the service manager get the right part? Will this drag on so long they forget to send Cidertom the repair bill? Will they ever get the right part so they know what to bill Cidertom? Stay tuned for these answers and more in "As the hoe digs" a continuing saga of a Communications Engineer turned Backhoe operator.

And now the rest of the story. When we last left the 448 hoe it was early August. The backhoe was performing perfectly. Last week the dealer finally got the correct part. Yep: ordered in late Jul, arrives in early Nov. I really appreciate the service manager stealing a valve instead of making me wait. According to what I was told: The mfg of the BH valve body (ameriquip) had the wrong PN on their doc's to JD. JD put in their system the wrong PN... The sales force is no longer crying, they have tried to sell the donor several times. I did get a bill, but at their cost no markup on the valve.

Again a great service dept.

/ another 448 hoe issue #8  
Cidertom how did your BH work. I have a 448 that I think is slow. If I am moving the main boom left or right it does OK. If I try to dump the bucket at the same time I'm moving the main boom the boom slows down and will not dump untill I release the main boom leaver. Digging in dirt it does OK but if I get a 2 inch root it will not cut thru the root. I had it back at the dealer with no luck of fixing it. Am I expecting to much out of my 448 hoe. Any help is appreciated.

/ another 448 hoe issue
rdp58 said:
Cidertom how did your BH work. I have a 448 that I think is slow. If I am moving the main boom left or right it does OK. If I try to dump the bucket at the same time I'm moving the main boom the boom slows down and will not dump untill I release the main boom leaver. Digging in dirt it does OK but if I get a 2 inch root it will not cut thru the root. I had it back at the dealer with no luck of fixing it. Am I expecting to much out of my 448 hoe. Any help is appreciated.
Sorry about the delay. I wanted to recheck what my memory had.

I can swing and dump at the same time. However I tend to feather the dump as I swing to spread the spoils. It is slower when doing two functions at once. I Have cut roots that big, but most require tearing them in two pieces by splitting them. If you search my posts you can find some fairly big trees I dug out. I also have bent the bucket cylinder so there is a fair amount of force there. It is not a full sized construction BH but so far it does OK for me. The valve issue can be looked at by putting a pressure gage at the cylinder and see if it develops full pressure.