hard starting 4300

/ hard starting 4300 #1  

rbarrett

I've got a '01 4300 (w/ 430 loader) that, more often than not, starts first time I bump it. The problem w/ it is that after running it, I can shut down & NOT get it to start again, even though seems to be getting fuel & has plenty of battery. I've changed the fuel filter and resorted to removing the right side cover & using the manual pump to be sure it's not starved for fuel. I've also had it start up for me after exhibiting this problem, so I guess you'd say it's intermittent...

/ hard starting 4300 #2  
Is there pressure in the fuel tank? If you remove the fuel cap is there a vaccum? Maybe a spider or dirt has clogged the fuel cap vent. Is the fuel fresh with no contamination? That's the only thing that comes to mind right now.

Good Luck!!

/ hard starting 4300 #3  
rbarrett said:
I've got a '01 4300 (w/ 430 loader) that, more often than not, starts first time I bump it. The problem w/ it is that after running it, I can shut down & NOT get it to start again, even though seems to be getting fuel & has plenty of battery. I've changed the fuel filter and resorted to removing the right side cover & using the manual pump to be sure it's not starved for fuel. I've also had it start up for me after exhibiting this problem, so I guess you'd say it's intermittent...

I'd clean your battery and starter cables. I think you'll find some corrosion on them.
The intermittent aspect sounds electrical to me. Anyway, cleaning the terminals doesn't cost anything but a little time.