Bigger sometimes is better than smaller....4700 vs 755 on 1/2 an acre

/ Bigger sometimes is better than smaller....4700 vs 755 on 1/2 an acre #1  

26m10

Tractor
1996 JD 755 / 2000 JD 4700
Well..I was away from my house for two weeks and the landscaper never came to mow my 1/2 acre yard.

1st problem...The lawn was over a foot high in the back and my little JD push mower would never be able to cut it.

I do have my Land Pride Finish mower...but...2nd problem...my JD755 is lent out to a friend....So....wifey says to me...Put it on the big tractor....I told her that the 4700 was way to big to use to mow such a small lawn...but I was tired of looking at the hay field...so I took the backhoe off the 4700, installed the links and put the mower on the back of the tractor. I detached the bucket and mowed my little patch of lawn with my huge 4700.

I was surprised...The 4700 actaully worked better than the 755 for mowing the yard..

Now if I could get my snowblower on the 4700 I would sell the 755..

/ Bigger sometimes is better than smaller....4700 vs 755 on 1/2 an acre #2  
That would surprise me too (even though I use the 790 to mow an acre of finished lawn).
Was the rear tire track wider then the mower?

/ Bigger sometimes is better than smaller....4700 vs 755 on 1/2 an acre #3  
What? No pics? That would've been quite the site - a 4700 trimming up a 1/2 acre hay field... :)

/ Bigger sometimes is better than smaller....4700 vs 755 on 1/2 an acre
RoyJackson said:
That would surprise me too (even though I use the 790 to mow an acre of finished lawn).
Was the rear tire track wider then the mower?

The tracks were wider. It is a FDR2560..

And I will take some pictures of it in the yard...

/ Bigger sometimes is better than smaller....4700 vs 755 on 1/2 an acre #5  
26m10 said:
The tracks were wider. It is a FDR2560..

And I will take some pictures of it in the yard...

I understand owning a 755...on ¾ acre...but why a 4700?

My guess is you had to do a lot more trimming after mowing with that big tractor.

RoyJackson said:
I understand owning a 755...on ¾ acre...but why a 4700?

My guess is you had to do a lot more trimming after mowing with that big tractor.

Actually didn't have to do any more trimming than I do with the little one...The neighbors must have thought I was crazed.

The 4700 was a deal I couldn't resist...I couldn't find a backhoe for my 755. The 4700 came up with the hoe and the price was right.

Now in the winter I leave the snowblower on the 755 and use the 4700 for the FEL.

My toys are just bigger and badder than they were when I was a kid

/ Bigger sometimes is better than smaller....4700 vs 755 on 1/2 an acre #7  
Before I got the DR Mower, the lawn was cut with the 4700 and MX6. :D It only took 4-5 passes and it was done. :D

I figured I was the only one who did this. :) It worked fine but I did not nor wanted to do it very long. I was worried about soil compaction and throwing a something through a window. :eek:

Later,
Dan

It took me about 10.

5 in each direction

/ Bigger sometimes is better than smaller....4700 vs 755 on 1/2 an acre #9  
This situation reminds me of a neighbor a couple doors down. At least you get use out of your 4700. The neighbor has roughly 1/2 acre. He's got a Class III New Holland CUT (which one I'm not sure). It is pretty rediculous seeing such a big tractor on such a small lot. He pretty much never uses it in the summer months. Every once in a great while he may box blade his small driveway. Back in June he was doing something in the backyard with it. Looked like he was moving dirt around. Must have redid the back lawn or something. The only time it really ever gets some use is in the winter to plow his driveway out. Never see him do other driveways, just his own. Doesn't take long to plow such a small driveway with such a big tractor. He's got a trailer for it, too, but he never takes it anywhere.

/ Bigger sometimes is better than smaller....4700 vs 755 on 1/2 an acre #10  
I wish I had enough money to buy an oversized tractor and never use it...