Starting my 2520

/ Starting my 2520 #1  

Piedmont

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2520
When I would turn the key on my 2305 and wait a few seconds I would hear a click. I would usually wait for the click before I turned it over. On my 2520 when I turn the key to the 1st position instead of the one click I hear a constant clicking sound, I can turn it over and it will start just fine but this was such a dramatic difference from the 2305 I thought I would check in and see if this is common.
As always thank you for your feedback

/ Starting my 2520 #2  
Yup, sounds just like mine! Always figured it was the intake air heater...dunno, might have to inquire.

/ Starting my 2520 #3  
I got one for yall better than that. i think its some kind of primer for fuel
like a electric fuel pump for something. :) if you take the fuel cap off. and turn the switch to the first position. and it starts to click. look in the tank. and the fuel start to bubble in the tank....:D I have no idea what it doing.
all i know is it starts everytime like a gem.....;)

Chris.....:)

/ Starting my 2520 #4  
Yeah its definately a fuel splashing sound. Must be a fuel pump thing, it sounds kinda funny.
Mine starts better than my 2210 ever did. :cool:

/ Starting my 2520 #5  
HI All,

Just a semi-educated guess here but I would say it's an electric pulse type pump to provide fuel under slight pressure to the injector pump. They advertise a "fill and go" type priming system for the engine if you run it dry, this must be part of that.

I do know that Diesels will be very hard, if not impossible, to start and run poorly if they don't have fuel supplied to the injector pump inlet under a slight bit of pressure. (Early Dodge Cummins "B" owners know this issue as a "weak lift pump")

Tom

/ Starting my 2520 #6  
tomd999 said:
HI All,

Just a semi-educated guess here but I would say it's an electric pulse type pump to provide fuel under slight pressure to the injector pump. They advertise a "fill and go" type priming system for the engine if you run it dry, this must be part of that.

I do know that Diesels will be very hard, if not impossible, to start and run poorly if they don't have fuel supplied to the injector pump inlet under a slight bit of pressure. (Early Dodge Cummins "B" owners know this issue as a "weak lift pump")

Tom

Tom, I think you're right. It's a fuel pump. My Volvos and Saabs have all done that. They have fuel pumps that will always prime the system before cranks. I’ve had to replace one or two over the years. And although they are not diesel (and tractors) it's the same principal. Turn the key to the run position before cranking and a fast click, click, click... I actually find it re-assuring. I don’t have my tractor yet but will most likely be getting the 2320. I wonder if that has this type of fuel management.

It wouldn’t hurt though to ask your dealer in case it’s not the above.

/ Starting my 2520 #7  
One thing to watch out for though is that this "clicking" fuel pump, (or whatever it is), seem to keep on going if you let the engine shut off by getting off the seat with the shifter in gear.

This happened to me several times when the tractor was new, (and I was learning how the safety worked).

If you inadvertently walk away thinking the tractor is "off", you might come back to find the battery dead, (and maybe the fuel pump burned out?) Luckily I haven't tested that theory just yet.:rolleyes:

At least that's the way is seems to work on mine. Is that consistent with everyone else?

/ Starting my 2520 #8  
drewmotz said:
If you inadvertently walk away thinking the tractor is "off", you might come back to find the battery dead, (and maybe the fuel pump burned out?) Luckily I haven't tested that theory just yet.:rolleyes:

Plus your tractor will appear about 7 hours older (give or take a couple of hours). My dealer told me the the hour meter keeps ticking as long as the ignition is turned on. I haven't tested this theory either :)

GordNovo