Glow plug timer on 4110

/ Glow plug timer on 4110 #1  

joes_427_vette

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH Cub Lo Boy, 955 John Deere , TC 55 DA New Holland, Bolens HT 20 and 1456
Even in the summer heat the three seconds on the glow plug timer isn't enough for an instant strat. Anyone have a clue how to extend the timer to about eight to ten seconds?

/ Glow plug timer on 4110 #2  
My 4010 starts within a second during the summer at about 1/4 throttle, even if it has been sitting for a couple of weeks. How long does your 4110 take to crank?

/ Glow plug timer on 4110 #3  
I don't preheat either of my tractors most of the time.

They just turn right over.

One has glow plugs and the other has an air intake heater..

/ Glow plug timer on 4110 #4  
Joe,
Are you heating by turning the key
to "crank", with one of the safety
switches on? (pto or hydro range lever)
Have you tried it a couple times in
succession?

/ Glow plug timer on 4110 #5  
I doubt there's an actual timer. How do you actuate it?

I just start my 4010 with the shift selector in "L" or "H". Turn the key all the way to start and hold it for 2 seconds in summer and 4 seconds in winter before moving the selector to "N". The engine always starts in about a 1/2 turn of the crank.

You CAN actuate the glow plugs by pausing half way between "on" and "start" positions, but it's impossible to tell this without an indicator light. I tried it by putting a test light on one of the glow plugs with the other end to ground and hood up. This is the only way you can reliably find this position and isn't easy to use.

Ralph

/ Glow plug timer on 4110
My 4110 is cold blooded. I usually leave it in gear and twist the key all the way to the right for a count of eight. It starts the first turn in this fashion. If I just turn the key half way and wait the five seconds it will roll about five times, smoke black, and fire. I have not tried to set the throttle up before starting. Maybe this would help.
My New Holland fires easily without the glow plugs... even in colder weather. My 455 didn't have a problem and started without a problem.

/ Glow plug timer on 4110 #7  
My 4300 has the intake manifold heater but it never gets used. When the temp drops below -15C I plug in the block heater. If it doesn't fire up as soon as I hit the key, I know the fuel solenoid thyrister is acting up again....