Dumb Questions

/ Dumb Questions #1  

Arcane

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
My 4115 came back from its 50 hr. service with what seems to be a very full transmission. The sight glass is completely orange, and the dipstick shows fluid all the way up to the stopper. Am I reading this right, or just being dumb (again)? Should I be worried about it being overfilled?

Next dumb question, if you will, the HST shares fluid with the hydraulic system, right? So if its overfilled, would that explain why its so difficult to connect and disconnect the backhoe couplings? Would that explain why the backhoe bucket and stabilizers droop so quickly?

I've been through the manuals forwards and backwards - nothing helpful. And I've searched here -

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
   / Dumb Questions #2  
Overfilling the transmission is not a good thing, especially if it is extremely overfull. I can't see any reason it would cause backhoe couplers to be difficult to hook and unhook though. It could possibly contribute to the cylinders leaking down because with the gears in the transmission churning in that oil, it could aerate the oil. It also could cause horsepower loss because of all the drag of the gears running in too much oil. I don't feel that any damage would be done to your tractor unless you run it that way for extended periods,(say maybe 50 hours or more). It can cause oil leakage from extra loads on the seals in transmission or even overflowing from breather or dipstick. I would recommend draining oil to proper level and see if that makes a difference. Did the couplers and cylinders act up only after the service?

/ Dumb Questions #3  
Make sure that you release any pressure on the hydraulic lines before you disconnect the lines. Similarly tap the ball ( in the male QD fitting)first to release pressure before reconnecting. You may get a small squirt of oil but they go together a lot easier.

/ Dumb Questions
So an all-orange sight gauge is overfilled? Why would the JD dealer do that? Oh, maybe that's another dumb question: the dealership is going out of business...

/ Dumb Questions #5  
the dealership is going out of business...

Sure hope they don't have an employee who is unhappy enough about losing his job that he just doesn't care what he's doing, or even worse, deliberately doing wrong.

/ Dumb Questions #6  
It takes about a gallon of fluid to raise the loader. Maybe the dealer filled to correct level with the loader up. That would be a bit too much in the right direction.
larry

/ Dumb Questions #7  
A dealer repairman was just out to my place installing the fix for the 200CX loader cavitation problem last week. He also filled the hyd tank completely full - an all orange sight glass. I haven't used the machine yet, but I'll move it around when I get home tonight and see what happens in the glass.

/ Dumb Questions #8  
pat32rf said:
Make sure that you release any pressure on the hydraulic lines before you disconnect the lines. Similarly tap the ball ( in the male QD fitting)first to release pressure before reconnecting. You may get a small squirt of oil but they go together a lot easier.

Note: I had this issue with my 200CX loader once. It turned out not to be a small squirt but a power burst of hyd fluid exploding in all directions. Through some wise words of others on this forum when I had this problem, it was suggested that I put a rag over the fitting before I attempt to relieve pressure. I'm glad I did cuz it could've been dangerous.

I think the amount of pressure built up depends on how much the implement sags after you disconnect the lines. In my case, I was foolish and didn't clear the pressure at all before disconnecting. Only made that mishtook once!

Good luck!

/ Dumb Questions #10  
I checked mine last night, put the FEL through its paces, ran a little back and forward, and raised/lowered the 3pth... No change in the full sight glass. Different dealers in different parts of the country both filling the glass full. Hmmm... Maybe something else wrong in the owners manuals?