Tires Tire Damage - How bad is it?

/ Tire Damage - How bad is it? #1  

GordNovo

Silver Member
I was cleaning the tractor the other day and noticed some big gouges in the lugs on the right side (front and rear). The gouges on the back aren't as bad as the ones on the front. I obviously spun across something really sharp.

Is this something I should expect more grief from as the tire ages? I'd imagine it's not only more prone to a flat now, plus it's likely not a flat I can fix, meaning I'd need a new tire.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I really wish I knew what I hit!!

Attachments

• Damaged Tire.JPG
    Damaged Tire.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 576
   / Tire Damage - How bad is it? #2  
Ouch! That hurts! Still, the cut doesn't look deeper than the lug, so you may be OK for a long time.....

/ Tire Damage - How bad is it? #3  
Wow Gord , them is pretty good cuts. :eek:
Didn't look like it got into the base of the tire. so
you should be ok for now....;)

Chris.....:)

/ Tire Damage - How bad is it? #4  
GordNovo said:
Is this something I should expect more grief from as the tire ages? I'd imagine it's not only more prone to a flat now, plus it's likely not a flat I can fix, meaning I'd need a new tire.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I really wish I knew what I hit!!

I'd get some rubber cemment (use a littl drop in a small intact (undamaged) area first to make sure the adhesive doesn't damage the rubber.

If the cement doesn't damamge the rubber, try to get some of it in the cuts. Since the cut doesn't appear to go beyond the lug, I think this repair would work for you.
If you do nothing, you'll lose at least part of the lug, eventually.

/ Tire Damage - How bad is it? #5  
GordNovo:

I would try Roy Jackson's suggestion and keep your eyes on those tires for eventual leakage. I think your tires will hold up for a long time based on where those cuts are on the tire lugs. Jay

/ Tire Damage - How bad is it? #6  
It may not look real good but it won't be a problem. I have seen large pieces torn out all the way around that deep and they still didn't cause a problem and were run for years.

/ Tire Damage - How bad is it? #7  
JerryG said:
It may not look real good but it won't be a problem. I have seen large pieces torn out all the way around that deep and they still didn't cause a problem and were run for years.
AGREED. Cuts can be a little worse than chunks tho because they are more like cracks and may grow slowly. Still, I think you will get yrs trouble free out of that tire and most repair efforts would be wasted or even detrimental.
larry

/ Tire Damage - How bad is it?
Thanks for the reply everyone! I'll give the rubber cement a try.

GN

/ Tire Damage - How bad is it? #9  
RoyJackson said:
I'd get some rubber cemment (use a littl drop in a small intact (undamaged) area first to make sure the adhesive doesn't damage the rubber.

If the cement doesn't damamge the rubber, try to get some of it in the cuts. Since the cut doesn't appear to go beyond the lug, I think this repair would work for you.
If you do nothing, you'll lose at least part of the lug, eventually.

Sorry about the poor spelling...I was working on a bottle of Jim Beam when I typed that...