Silver Member

Default Tire Damage - How bad is it?

I was cleaning the tractor the other day and noticed some big gouges in the lugs on the right side (front and rear). The gouges on the back aren't as bad as the ones on the front. I obviously spun across something really sharp.

Is this something I should expect more grief from as the tire ages? I'd imagine it's not only more prone to a flat now, plus it's likely not a flat I can fix, meaning I'd need a new tire.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I really wish I knew what I hit!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2007 John Deere 2520, 200CX loader, Allied rear mount blower, 60" Buhler RFM, i-Match hitch, ballast box, 25 gal electric sprayer, 60" Buhler box blade, 60" Kodiak rotary mower, Moosehead beer holder.

Elite Member
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    (B2620, had BX22) Simplicity Legacy w/48" mmm

Default Re: Tire Damage - How bad is it?

Ouch! That hurts! Still, the cut doesn't look deeper than the lug, so you may be OK for a long time.....
    B2620,Loaded R-4's , Wallenstein BX42 chipper, Bush Hog SQ148 RC, 4' x 8' chain harrow, Blizzard 54" 3PT snowblower, Tirechains. com v-bar duo grip chains (hate them), Simplicity Legacy with 48"mmm, turbo collector, Country Line carry all, Countryline Middlebuster, Woods 48" BB, Kubota QA for loader, Kubota forks, Kuhn EL23 rototiller, and more to come...

Wow Gord , them is pretty good cuts.
    Didn't look like it got into the base of the tire. so
    you should be ok for now....

Chris.....
    John Deere 2520 , R4's , 200CX loader with 61 inch bucket and JD Tooth Bar. And Markham 7 tooth. Tooth bar. 46 Backhoe with 16 inch bucket. with Custom made Street Flip pads off a 448 hoe. Foward work lights. Dual rear work lights. Heavy duty Alternator. I-Match , Ballast Box , Frontier BB2060 box blade , Frontier pallet Forks , JD 3 point reciever hitch. and soon A lot more.. and for grass cutting , John Deere GX 255 with 48 inch deck.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by GordNovo
    Is this something I should expect more grief from as the tire ages? I'd imagine it's not only more prone to a flat now, plus it's likely not a flat I can fix, meaning I'd need a new tire.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I really wish I knew what I hit!!
    I'd get some rubber cemment (use a littl drop in a small intact (undamaged) area first to make sure the adhesive doesn't damage the rubber.

If the cement doesn't damamge the rubber, try to get some of it in the cuts. Since the cut doesn't appear to go beyond the lug, I think this repair would work for you.
    If you do nothing, you'll lose at least part of the lug, eventually.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    New Holland TC29DA, John Deere 455D

GordNovo:

I would try Roy Jackson's suggestion and keep your eyes on those tires for eventual leakage. I think your tires will hold up for a long time based on where those cuts are on the tire lugs. Jay
    NH TC29DA with 14LA and HD QA 60" bucket, weighted R-1's, FOPS, CCM M-160 (58") Tiller, Tebben MD 60" Rotary Cutter, Woods LR 108 (96") Landscape Rake, FEL cutting edge and tooth bar, Woods GB60 (60") Box Blade, Wallenstein BXM32

1995 John Deere 455 Diesel with 48" mower, MC 519 Cart with PowerVac

Tractor
    MF 1440-4 PowerShuttle

It may not look real good but it won't be a problem. I have seen large pieces torn out all the way around that deep and they still didn't cause a problem and were run for years.

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by JerryG
    It may not look real good but it won't be a problem. I have seen large pieces torn out all the way around that deep and they still didn't cause a problem and were run for years.
    AGREED. Cuts can be a little worse than chunks tho because they are more like cracks and may grow slowly. Still, I think you will get yrs trouble free out of that tire and most repair efforts would be wasted or even detrimental.
    larry

Silver Member

Thanks for the reply everyone! I'll give the rubber cement a try.

GN
    2007 John Deere 2520, 200CX loader, Allied rear mount blower, 60" Buhler RFM, i-Match hitch, ballast box, 25 gal electric sprayer, 60" Buhler box blade, 60" Kodiak rotary mower, Moosehead beer holder.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson
    I'd get some rubber cemment (use a littl drop in a small intact (undamaged) area first to make sure the adhesive doesn't damage the rubber.

If the cement doesn't damamge the rubber, try to get some of it in the cuts. Since the cut doesn't appear to go beyond the lug, I think this repair would work for you.
    If you do nothing, you'll lose at least part of the lug, eventually.
    Sorry about the poor spelling...I was working on a bottle of Jim Beam when I typed that...
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino