Core Aerators

/ Core Aerators #1  

JDTRAC

Tractor
JD 2305
First, let me mention this is my first post on this website. But, I am a long time viewer of the many great posts of information provided. I appreciate and thank all of you who share thoughts and experiences with your JD equipment.

My question for feedback... I have a JD 2305 and interested in using a core aerator for my lawn rehab (about 3 acres). The Frontier Aerators JD has available look to fill my need, however, the sales literature doesn't list the 2305 as an option for this implement. Perhaps it's too heavy for usage, however, my 647 tiller is large and works fine in my garden. I will check with local dealer, but curious if anyone has experience or used. Thanks again.

/ Core Aerators #2  
I can't find any Frontier core aerators, other than what's on the overseeders, on the JD website. But you can find 3pth aerators from other sources that will work fine. The 2305 will pull one quite easily... Lifting one filled with water may not work so well, but those may come with wheels, also.

Your dealer will certainly help, maybe have him demonstrate if he has one in stock?

/ Core Aerators #3  
Frontier makes a line of plug aerators. When I priced them out, they were pricey! :) Ended up with a Deere pull-behind. Figured that would be fine for the 2X/year I use it.

/ Core Aerators #5  
JDFANATIC said:
Frontier makes a line of plug aerators. When I priced them out, they were pricey! :) Ended up with a Deere pull-behind. Figured that would be fine for the 2X/year I use it.

IMHO - Unless you are going to be doing commercial work, MOST ppl will do just fine with a garden tractor type pull behind aerator..

I am using a friends Sears 48" core aerator with my 2320 and I get up to 3" plugs depending on ground moisture.. You can buy these for under $200 at Lowes/HD/Northern Tool... I havent priced the JD model though.. The heavy duty 3pt will run on +$1,000

My local dealer has some core aerators that are much heavier than the typical big box model, but they also run about $600..

brian

/ Core Aerators #6  
I purchased the JD pull-behind core aerator. It is a pretty heavy duty unit. I actually use it behind my Gator more than I do my 4110. It has held up very well. It was priced at $500, much less than any of the 3-point models. It pulls 3" cores without a problem. You might want to also check...Agri-Fab was selling a 3-point model for less than $500, but I can't speak for the quality of the unit. The Agri-Fab unit could be ordered from Lowe's / Sears if it is still available.

/ Core Aerators #7  
I have A Trac-Vac 3pt Hitch Core Aerator It is Awesome They Are Price Around 400 to 500 Dollars They Are Awesome & very Heavy Duty Plus The Pluggers Are spaced about 3" apart They are Awesome !Trac-Vac Lawn Vacuum, Lawn, Leaf, Grass, Vacuum Accessories, and Landscape Equipment. You Can Get The 3Pt Hitch Kit ! I Have had one now for 4 seasons It is one Heck of A Unit ! It will Last you a lifetime Grease Fittings On every moving Part !

/ Core Aerators #8  
i regularly use core aeraters and a deep-tine unit maintaing turf ballfields. I think that your best bet would be a unit that attaches to the three-point hitch. I have found that when you are making your turns, you can lift up the unit. This will prevent over-aerating and ripping up the lawn that could happen with a tow-behind unit. This can happen by going over the same area too many times. Remember that when aerating, work the area a minimum of two directions. Try dragging a drag-mat or section of chain-link behind you to help break up the cores. Also realize that when you pull up the cores, you are also pulling up dormant weed seeds and spreading them around. If you have rocky soils, and/or a lot of weight on the unit, have extra tines/spoons on hand. When you are done, clean the soil out of the tines or it will get hard as a rock. Millcreek used to make a half-decent unit that could be towed or mounted to the three point hitch. And Frontier makes a couple of inexpensive units too. At work I use a Ryan Tracair, it's 72" wide and weighs a ton. I also use a Redexum Verti-drain PTO powerd deep tine unit. It will drive 3/4 inch 12" spikes into the ground and give them a little kick on the way out. Try running that thing all day!

/ Core Aerators
Thanks for all the useful feedback. Results on some follow-up on my own...

My local JD dealer indicated the most efficient implement would be the three-point hitch Frontier 1048 4 ft core aerator. It has an operating weight of 316 lbs (prior to adding any additional weight) which should work fine with my 2305. And does a great job. However, as JDFANATIC pointed out pricey at around $2000. Unless I can find a second-hand model, the JD Tow-Behind 48-in plug aerator could be an option. However, it is primarily for the X500 and X700 series garden tractor and a little small (according to my dealer) for the 2305. Although would enjoy adding the Frontier aerator to my implement collection, must also question the investment for perhaps 2x/year usage. I will also follow-up the Trac-Vac 3pt suggested by kvjohndeere.

/ Core Aerators #10  
Me and a friend own a Midwest 60" aerator, We have 4 milk crates filled with concrete on it for weight. My 4110 handles it just fine if I have the FEL one to balance the setup.

It was purchased about 4 years ago from Corriher.