Oil & Fuel Leaky Fuel Cap

/ Leaky Fuel Cap #1  

roysallis

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 5210, JD 521 Loader, JD MX6 Rotary Cutter, TufLine 6' Disk, TufLine 6' Grader Blade, TufLine 6' Box Blade
<font color=green>Has anyone had a problem with the fuel cap on the 5000 series? I have a 5210 with plastic fuel tank and cap. The fuel seems to leak out. It gets all around the cap and down one side of the tank. It collects dust, grass, etc. Is this just normal venting of the tank, bad gasket, or what? My dealer says I must be crossthreading the cap or am spilling fuel when I fill the tank. Sometimes I do spill a little that runs down the tank but I wipe it off. I do not think the cap is being crossthreaded because my son and I both put fuel in it and it happens constantly. I don't think both of us are crossthreading it every time. If anyone can help please let me know. Thanks</font color=green>

/ Leaky Fuel Cap #2  
roysallis, I don't know the answer to your question, but two thoughts come to mind. I guess you know that if you fill it all the way to the top, and then the fuel warms to a higher temperature, there's a little expansion that could push some out the vent. Does it only do it when it's full? The other thing is that I don't know how the return line is situated on your tractor. Is there a possibility that it's aimed at the cap?

Bird

/ Leaky Fuel Cap #3  
The fill on the 5210 is in the rear so very easy to see what is going on. The next time you fill it up, wipe the filler tube exterior very clean with gasoline and dry it. Put a baggie over the cap and secure with a few rubber bands or a stainless steel clamp and see if you are really losing fuel. If you are, tell the dealer the cap is defective and he should replace it. You might look to be sure the cap has a rubber sealing gasket in it at all. If it were out of warranty, I would cut another gasket from an inner tube and cement it in place.

/ Leaky Fuel Cap
WEN, thanks for the suggestion about the plastic bag. I have checked the gasket and it looks ok. I will try the plastic bag trick. My tractor is still under warranty so if it is a defective cap maybe they will have no problem replacing it.
Thanks again